In order to be effective, must possess a multitude of analytical and interpersonal skills. A considerable amount of drive and understanding of information is necessary to excel, and incumbent will exercise a significant degree of collaboration working across CSN. Additionally, requires, tremendous focus and discipline, resourcefulness and a creative, innovative and solutions-focused approach. This position has the latitude to make independent decisions and judgments for the SVP.
1. Develops and implements internal communications on behalf of Senior Vice President (SVP), AARP State & Community Engagement that clearly communicate vision and strategy for AARP’s work in states and local communities. Develops and executes strategic communications plans to support a variety of State and Community Engagement leadership projects, including strategies that tell the story of state and local contributions to enterprise achievements.
2. Prepares regular communications from SVP to State & Community Engagement (SCE) and to Board and executive audiences, external audiences, and other communications as needed. Is adept at using multiple channels and a variety of communication modes (e.g. talking points, presentations, speeches, memos, newsletters). Ensures that all communications from SVP or SCE Leadership Team reflect Association, CSN and SCE goals and priorities, are well-organized, encourage ideas, and achieve buy-in. Provides coaching and consultation to other SCE teams on how to successfully communicate and works with them to ensure a strong and consistent narrative.
3. Supports the SVP, SCE in providing information to EVP, SCE Leadership Team, and Community, State & National Affairs (CSN) Leadership Team and may serve as a point of contact for functions relating to the social impact mission; may negotiate at all levels of management to secure input from an array of diverse units to achieve particular social impact goals.
4. Coordinates a wide range of information on priority initiatives and works with colleagues across AARP to ensure that information is communicated in a way that effectively and efficiently drives action and follow up as appropriate
5. Works on important, highly sensitive, special projects for SVP requiring a high degree of confidentiality; tracks deliverables for SVP; ensures all deadlines are met. May represent SCE in internal CSN or enterprise-wide working groups. May serve as liaison to states in collaborative work with Association partners.
6. Plans and implements the SCE role in signature initiatives and special projects, in collaboration with SCE Leadership.
7. Manages relationship strategies, maintaining and strengthening relationships as needed to advance AARP goals. May help manage Association involvement in relevant external coalitions or influencer groups, in conjunction with SVP and SCE Leadership Team.
8. Assists SVP by identifying, collecting, and synthesizing data, literature, etc. to inform SVP on current events, best practices, trends, etc.
9. Coordinates SVP visits to state offices. Develops overarching strategies and plans to maximize the impact of these visits. Ensures appropriate briefing materials are developed for visits, coordinating closely with State Office and SVP Executive Assistant.
10. Uses a range of tools (written and electronic communiques, webinars and digital media) to share information across audiences
1. Completion of a Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, or a related discipline, with at least 5-8 years in an advisory and/or consulting capacity to senior level management, or an equivalent combination of training and experience related to the duties of the position.
2. Strong writing skills and the ability to tell a cohesive story through visual elements and communicate effectively and persuasively.
3. Interpersonal savvy and ability to work collaboratively with a variety of personalities and styles. Demonstrated diplomatic, networking, and delegation skills.
4. Proven aptitude to collect, analyze and evaluate information and to adjust strategies and tactics in an ongoing, fast paced environment. Must be able to quickly understand and interpret strategic issues and directions.
5. Ability to adapt quickly to change and demonstrate flexibility with new ideas.
6. Capability to learn technical systems and processes and effectively adapt to changing requirements.
7. Excellent organizational skills and capability to multi-task.
AARP offers competitive benefits with a 401K, 100% company funded pension plan, health, dental, vision and life insurance, STD/LTD, paid vacation and sick, and other benefits.
Equal Employment Opportunity
AARP is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. AARP does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, color, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Job Posted: February 15, 2017