The Twitter Global Communications team is currently seeking a media relations expert to manage policy communications, which encompasses public policy, corporate issues and political advertising. The ideal candidate has a successful record of creating and implementing PR plans and campaigns related to the intersection of high technology and public policy.
The person chosen will work globally and execute programs and campaigns with internal stakeholders, reporters, news outlets, think tanks and influencers. This role requires the ability to explain the dimensions of Twitter’s product strengths and strategic vision to the media, as well as to government and policy experts. The ideal candidate brings solid know-how on such issues as free expression, patents, privacy, cybersecurity and corporate affairs — preferably from experience in government affairs or political or advocacy campaigns.
The position is based at Twitter’s office in Washington, DC and will require periodic travel.
What success looks like:
- You will lead, develop, and motivate an international + remote team of PR professionals
- You will be a go-to contact in DC for Twitter’s perspective on relevant policy issues
- You will represent Twitter to a variety of industry and trade groups
- You will have strong external working relationships with subject matter experts in our issues (and the ability to call on them for third party validation)
- You will have strong internal relationships across multiples functions, levels, and offices at Twitter
- You will positively contribute to Twitter’s reputation in being known for providing crisp information and analysis on our issues
- You will demonstrate your passion for the Twitter product
- Develop messaging and effectively articulate Twitter stances on industry, policy and product issues
- Design and implement strategic campaigns that may include outside research and third-party validation
- Cultivate ongoing media relationships with DC press (issue-vertical, business, tech and policy reporters)
- Liaise with global comms and policy teams to effectively frame messages across consumer, ads, policy and product areas
- Represent Twitter to relevant third-party organizations as needed
- Develop and deliver communications plans and strategies using all channels: blog posts, statements, tweets, video, etc.
- Bachelor degree in communications, public affairs or a related discipline
- 8-10 years work experience in a combination of public policy communications, political or advocacy campaigns, government relations, technology communications
- Multiple years experience as a people manager leading and inspiring a team
- Hands-on in-house experience with technology or media company strongly preferred
- Strong writing, editing and messaging skills
- Strong skills in collaboration, project management and planning
- Ability to develop and place point of view pieces on Twitter’s policy positions
- Proven track record in coaching and advising executives on their communications
- Ability to quickly grasp information across a variety of disciplines and develop and execute on comprehensive communications plans
- Ability to lead, manage and execute multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented and nimble environment
- A strategic thinker with the ability to successfully drive short-term and long-term initiatives with minimal guidance and to re-prioritize on the fly
- Dynamic, charismatic, confident communicator with proven ability to work cross-functionally, exerting influence without direct authority
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
Job Posted: April 12, 2017