American Society of Interior Designers (ASID)
The Associate Director of Political Action and Advocacy is responsible for formulating and implementing the political action, political fundraising, and grassroots strategies affecting interior designers in all 50-states as well as the District of Columbia.
The primary role of this position will be to proactively develop and execute said strategies to complement ASID’s public policy agenda comprised of a variety of issues affecting commercial and residential interior designers, design students, and their industry partner companies.
• Develop, direct and implement proactive political action and grassroots advocacy strategies that engage and educate interior designers and elected officials on ASID’s public policy issues at the federal and state level
• Create a formal structure, strategy, and action plan to grow an existing network of interior design grassroots supporters and mobilize their support on behalf of ASID’s public policy issues at the federal and state level
• Work with the ASID Government and Public Affairs Council to develop their role and involvement in political action, fundraising, and grassroots efforts
• Develop, direct and implement a strategic political fundraising plan to increase funding for ASID’s government and political affairs activities
• Establish, manage, and grow a federal political action committee (PAC), education fund, and other political fundraising structures as necessary on the state level. This shall include the creation and management of a well-organized and extensive donor database.
• Be ASID’s face/primary point of contact for the purpose of building relationships with political parties, elected officials, and other politically active groups at the federal and state level
• Maintain constant knowledge of the “state of play” in state and federal elections and general political activity at both levels
• Other duties as assigned by the Vice President of Government and Public Affairs
• Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Public Policy, or related field, plus a minimum of five years’ experience, including a proven track record, in political fundraising and grassroots advocacy.
• Thorough knowledge and proven track record of creating, implementing, and directing successful grassroots strategies and campaigns
• Proven track record of developing, implementing, and directing successful political fundraising strategies and campaigns
• Strong contacts network composed of elected officials, political party officials and their respective political staff. Ability to engage using a bipartisan approach to achieve results.
• Demonstrated experience and knowledge of state and federal campaign finance laws, especially with regard to political action committees and other political fundraising structures such as independent expenditures
• An ability to manage multiple projects at one time, deadlines, and respond to shifting priorities across multiple states including during “rapid response” situations
• Proactive self-starter with an exceptional attention to detail
• Expert ability to strategically schedule, prioritize, prepare for, and follow-up on all meetings with donors and elected officials
• Represent ASID at political events hosted in or outside of Washington DC
• Personable and politically savvy with proven leadership and research skills
• Excellent customer service, written, proof reading and oral communications skills in order to create all grassroots and political fundraising messaging and materials
• Demonstrated ability to be comfortable with speaking to large audiences
• Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, web browser, email, and the use of technology to conduct grassroots campaigns
• Assure discreet handling of all ASID business and government affairs matters
• Always operate within all legal and ethical boundaries of local, state, and federal laws regarding government affairs professionals
• Overnight travel may be required from time to time.
• Overall energy/enthusiasm for politics and government affairs.
Job Posted: February 25, 2017