California Life Sciences Association (CLSA)
Summary of Responsibilities:
The Associate – Federal Government Relations will support the Vice President – Federal Government Relations & Alliance Development and the Director – Federal Government Relations in their efforts to build and maintain strong relationships with key legislators and staff, and improving policymakers’ understanding of California’s life sciences sector and issues important to our membership. The Associate will not participate in direct lobbying activities. This position is structured for growth within the advocacy role and within CLSA as an organization.
Primary responsibilities of the Associate – Federal Government Relations & Programs include:
• Support federal government relations team engagement with California congressional delegation and other offices.
• Support the maintenance of alliances with CLSA member companies, partner associations and other affiliate organizations.
• Create policy briefing papers, presentations, backgrounders and other communications on topics affecting the state’s biomedical community.
Job Details: Federal Legislative/Policy Duties
• Support the development of communications to membership and delegation offices regarding CLSA support for or opposition to federal legislation, including preparing materials for individual company use to local Members of Congress and/or U.S. Senators.
• Assist in developing and managing CLSA Federal Legislative Committee and federal policy Working Group meeting agendas and activities, including identification and monitoring of legislation of interest to CLSA membership.
• Research and draft CLSA’s e-newsletters for review by the Director – Federal Government Relations.
• Monitor and report on policy and legislative-related issues and updates relevant to CLSA’s federal policy agenda and membership interest.
• Maintain “Federal” section of CLSA website, including (as relevant) current status of priority federal legislation as identified by CLSA and its Federal Legislative Committee. Tracking details to include CLSA policy position, as well as co-sponsorship and vote tally within the California delegation. Maintain internal tracking documents re same.
• Update and maintain internal and external contact lists, including relevant delegation staff contacts, and Federal Legislative Committee contacts.
• Attend and participate in hearings, briefings on legislation and other policy meetings/events as directed. Outreach/Education Programs
• Support development and implementation of collaborative CLSA member- and alliance stakeholder-supported programs illustrating the importance of biomedical research and innovation to improvements in healthcare, economic growth and job creation.
• Interact directly with CLSA member companies, partner trade associations, patient advocacy groups and other organizations and coalitions, to build strong relationships.
• Assist in organization of Hill briefings, roundtables and facility tours with congressional offices.
• Work with CLSA staff, member company representatives and outside vendors with planning, execution and on-site coordination of CLSA events, meetings and educational programs.
• Support and collaborate with Communications team on targeted web and social media education and advocacy opportunities (e.g. Twitter, Facebook and CLSA blog postings; post live updates during Hill briefings; etc.).
• Oversee production and distribution of printed materials/deliveries to U.S. Capitol and congressional offices. Administrative Management
• Serve as Office Manager for the Washington, DC office.
• Coordinate/schedule use of meeting and teleconference facilities by request.
• Serve as first point of contact on telephones and greet CLSA guests.
• Manage voicemail system and distribute messages as required for CLSA staff.
• Open and distribute all incoming CLSA mail, support high-volume printing, faxing, mail projects, coordinate sending/receiving of USPS/FedEx/UPS packages.
• Manage stock of office supplies, including items for individual staff use or special events.
• Maintain knowledge of CLSA DC’s computers, servers and network systems and act as on-site tech support coordinator.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Applies policies and procedures to resolve issues.
• Works individually and on departmental projects.
• May participate in cross-functional committees such as for company events.
• Reports to VP, and may work collaboratively and at direction of a Manager, Associate Director or a Director.
• May be reviewed by, or mentored by a senior peer in the department.
• Builds internal and external relationships and supports culture through daily interactions. Background and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree required; degree in related major preferred.
• One (1) to three (3) years of work experience in a directly related field.
• Excellent verbal, written and digital communication skills.
• School, club, volunteer leadership, or project management experience.
• Demonstrated record of sound political judgment and bipartisanship or the ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion is essential.
• Strong teamwork, project management and analytical/problem solving skills.
• Availability to support and attend early morning and late evening events (with advance notice).
CLSA currently offers a full suite of employee benefits including medical and dental insurance, LTD, STD and Group Life insurance, 401(k) plan with matching, FSA and HSA options, and a generous paid time off and paid holiday schedule.
How to Apply:
Qualified applicants should submit their resume with cover letter to CLSA Associate Director – HR & Administration, Cheryl St. Cyr, via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Posted: February 20, 2017