Everytown for Gun Safety
About Everytown for Gun Safety
Everytown for Gun Safety is a movement of Americans fighting for common-sense policies that will reduce gun violence and save lives. Everytown is the largest gun violence prevention organization in the country with more than three million supporters and more than 125,000 donors. Our supporters include moms, mayors, survivors, and everyday Americans who are fighting for reforms that respect the Second Amendment and protect people. At the core of Everytown are Mayors Against Illegal Guns, Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America and the Everytown Survivor Network. Learn more at www.everytown.org and follow us @Everytown.
The Chief of Government Affairs will develop and lead Everytown’s legislative, policy and political strategies. The ideal candidate will be a creative, innovative strategist, with strong management and problem solving skills. The CGA will report to the President and will manage the Directors of Federal Affairs, State Legislative Affairs, and the Political Department. This is the senior position in the Washington, DC office.
- Provide vision, leadership and direction for Everytown’s Government Affairs department
- Develop and implement creative and effective near and long-term strategies aimed at:
- Strengthening gun safety legislation and policy
- Responding to and protecting against dangerous gun laws
- Building a robust political program to help build power
- Develop the vision and strategy that determines campaign and advocacy priorities
- Design strategies to assess and shape public opinion on gun safety, and leverage public engagement on the issue to move progress on federal, state and local policy and legislation
- Direct communications and advocacy with federal and state elected and appointed officials, candidates and staff
- Act as a spokesperson and representative of the organization on matters of policy and politics
- Manage relationships and collaboration with strategic partners
- Establish processes for candidate evaluation, political endorsements, contributions and organizational support
- Develop and implement ballot initiative strategies and other opportunities for political impact
- Identify opportunities and design strategies to influence legislation at the state level
- Work closely with key staff in other departments, including communications and member engagement, to align goals, strategies and tactics across the organization
- Identify and define staffing needs
- Create and manage budgets
- A minimum of 12 years of directly related, progressively responsible work experience, including several cycles of electoral and/or issue campaign experience and/or the equivalent in government, advocacy organization, or other related work
- Ability to analyze issues, define problems and propose creative solutions in political and legislative environments
- Knowledge of legislative processes on a federal, state and local level, and a proven ability to advocate for legislative and policy change within different spheres of government.
- Proven ability to thrive at a high level in a fast-paced, 24/7 organization
- Proven ability to build and maintain relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders
- Experience hiring and managing staff
- Experience creating and managing budgets
- Strong planning and organizational skills, including the ability to manage competing priorities in a timely manner and keep track of a variety of projects
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to inspire confidence of others with personal authority, leadership skills and a collaborative work style
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university (or equivalent educational/life experience)
- Personal commitment to the goals of ending gun violence and building safer communities
*Please note: we verify information provided in the application process, including education.
Candidates who identify as people of color highly encouraged to apply. A diverse workforce and open culture are at the heart of our company and vital to our success.
Equal Employment Opportunities
Everytown for Gun Safety provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Submit a cover letter and resume online at https://www.grossmanheinz.com/jobs. Only applications submitted through this website will be considered. Deadline for applications is February 17, 2017.
Job Posted: February 11, 2017