National Restaurant Association
Summary of Position:
The Coordinator, State and Local Government Affairs assists the State and Local Affairs Team with local and state political responsibilities including bill tracking and analysis, news tracking, research, writing, database management, administrative, and other activities in support of the team’s and Association’s missions.
• Assisting the State and Local Affairs Team with local and state political responsibilities; PAC activities; coalition and ally relations; bill tracking and analysis; research; writing; administrative, and other functions in support of team’s and Association’s missions.
• Assisting State and Local Affairs team with scheduling, travel arrangements, expense reports and other administrative functions.
• Serve as primary point of state and local contact for the government affairs officials at national chain restaurant companies and at state restaurant associations.
• Serve as the primary liaison for state and local team with the Association’s policy team.
• Communicate and coordinate with national chain multi-unit restaurant companies, allied industry and trade associations and organizations of federal, state, and local public officials.
• Enhancing the Association’s outreach to, and relationships with, public officials, associations, allies, coalitions, and others.
• Assists in the management and coordination of Restaurant Advocacy Fund issues campaigns and related working groups.
• Assist the State and Local Affairs Team in:
o Tracking and monitoring state and local legislation.
o Compiling daily news clips for external distribution.
o Producing legislative summaries and reports.
o Maintaining and updating legislative tracking materials.
o Coordinating participation in state political and policy groups.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Works on special projects and other duties as required helping to promote department’s success
• Assists as needed with association events
• Assists as needed with grassroots mobilization campaigns
• Assists as needed with SRA advocacy capacity building efforts
Essential Use of Following Tools:
• Association membership database
• Advocacy management software
• Legislative tracking software
• News and information filtering software
• Fax Machine
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• 2 years of experience in state or federal government or state or federal government affairs.
• Experience in or knowledge of the restaurant industry is preferred
• Experience working in a trade association, legislature, or lobbying firm is preferred.
• Strong writing, reading and math skills
• Detail-oriented with a dedication to accuracy and thoroughness
• Significant business and stakeholder relationship building experience
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely
• Computer literate (Excellent knowledge of Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint applications)
• Strong social media skills
• Ability to learn other computer software programs, and enter and maintain accurate data/information
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of work records
• Strong organizational skills
• Flexible and resilient
• Problem-solving and time management skills
• Strong interpersonal and diplomacy skills
• Ability to work as part of a team and to work independently
• Significant communication skills in written and verbal formats; showcases clear and concise manner
Essential Mental Requirements:
• Must be able to work as an integral part of the a team
• Must be able to maintain good rapport with all departments
• Must be able to understand the importance of the position for the Association’s success
• Must be on time and with a minimal amount of absence
• Must be able to make complex decisions for tough problems
• Must be able to cope within a fast-paced work environment; and persevere with tenacity
• Must be able to manage multiple projects; separating mission critical from the non-strategic; with minimal supervision
• Must have the ability to accept change and be flexible; focusing on action and outcomes
• Must be able to act with honor, character and integrity
Job Posted: April 13, 2017