National Restaurant Association
Summary of Position:
The Media Relations Manager is responsible for developing and maintaining proactive communications strategies – with a focus on digital media communications – for the Association’s overall reputation and public policy goals. In coordination with the Vice President of Communications & Media Relations, the Manager creates and manages communications objectives that enhance the Association’s work and the industry’s overall image. This position serves as an on-the-record spokesperson for the organization and manages incoming media requests.
• Works as integral part of Communications Team to accomplish Association goals.
• Assists Vice President, Communications and Media Relations, to accomplish departmental goals.
• Supports all internal team members and department for the Association mission and values while promoting Association culture.
• Develops image-promoting content and executes communications strategies to reach and inform critical audiences, utilizing various forms of communication including Association web properties, social media channels and traditional media audiences.
• Monitors and engages in Association media channels, and plays leading role in managing Association’s social media accounts and utilizing digital assets to meet communication goals.
• Works with grassroots team to execute local reputation enhancement efforts and advocacy work.
• Develops and executes proactive media relations strategies related to public policy topics important to the U.S. restaurant industry, labor and workforce issues; profitability and tax issues; and sustainability issues (including the Conserve program).
• Serves as an on-the-record spokesperson for the organization and manages incoming media requests.
• Maintains relationships and communications outreach to Association members, State Restaurant Associations, partner trade associations and other stakeholders.
• Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with media outlets, including public policy and business reporters to restaurant and foodservice industry trade publications and professionals.
• Works with Editorial team members to ensure strategic coverage of reputation-based efforts and public policy priorities in NRA communications vehicles.
• Coordinates industry image-promotion activities and develops and maintains the company’s corporate image and identity through coordinated messaging.
• Works on special projects and other duties as required to promote the Association’s success.
• Bachelor’s degree in a communications-related field, such as journalism, communications, marketing, political science, or public relations, preferred.
• Minimum of 8 years’ experience in communications-related field; public relations/consulting agency, association, corporate or government/political environment
• Experience within or the ability to quickly learn about the restaurant industry/business environment
• Ability to develop and execute strategic communications plans
• Strong organizational skills and events management skills
• Flexibility and superb interpersonal skills
• Strong writing and math skills
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely
• Ability to maintain confidentiality of work records
• Ability to work as part of a team and to work independently
• Exceptional analytical and critical thinking skills
• Significant business and stakeholder relationship-building experience
• Experience utilizing social media tools, including Twitter, Facebook, YouTube
Essential Mental Requirements:
• Must be able to work as an integral part of the Communications Team
• Must be able to maintain good rapport with all departments
• Must be able to cope within a fast-paced work environment
• Must be able to manage multiple projects with minimal supervision
• Must be able to understand the importance of the position for the success of the business
• Ability to accept changes and be flexible
• Be on time and with a minimal amount of absence
• Must be fearless in tackling issues and challenges as they arise; doesn’t avoid confrontation
• Must be able to act with honor, character, and integrity
Job Posted: March 12, 2017