National Restaurant Association
Summary of Position
The Director, Advocacy Research & Insights is responsible for developing, managing and implementing the Association’s advocacy research goals. This employee will chart the direction of advocacy-related research for the Association. The employee must be an entrepreneurial, innovative, and data driven individual with a passion for fact-based research. This employee will work with member companies, federal, state and local officials, trade associations, and other third party stakeholders as an industry advocate. The National Restaurant Association conducts education, outreach and advocacy with key policy makers; therefore, this employee will help facilitate relationships with key government staff, government officials, allied industry groups and coalitions.
• Lead the Advocacy Research agenda to accomplish Association and departmental goals.
• Design, execute, and report on research initiatives to improve an organization’s advocacy among senior federal policymakers and media influencers.
• Lead cutting edge quantitative and qualitative research to influence the legislative and regulatory environment. Lead and develop quantitative and qualitative research benchmarking the impact of legislative and regulatory initiatives.
• Analyze large quantities of quantitative and qualitative data to interpret research findings within context of industry and economic trends and patterns, consumer attitude, advocacy trends and issues, broad ideas, and strategic initiatives.
• Utilize technology and data analytical tools to accomplish research goals.
• Coordinate and conduct phone interviews with senior Congressional, Executive Branch, and industry advocacy professionals.
• Generate and report research-based insights and findings for Association leadership, Board members, government officials, and media influencers
• Develop informative, visual research summaries with high-quality graphics (e.g. charts, tables, infographics) using PowerPoint, Smart sheets, Word, Excel, and other tools as needed.
• Collaborate and coordinate with Research and Knowledge Center team on industry research and trends.
• Preparing statements on policy matters of interest to the industry in coordination with Communications Team.
• Maintain relationships with third party advocacy organizations and associations to promote the Association’s strategic advocacy programs.
• Collaborating as a team to develop and execute strategies to advance the Association’s legislative priorities.
• Works on special projects and other duties as required helping to promote department’s success.
• Bachelor’s in Political Science or Related Field
• Minimum 5 years of experience in research or data analytics related field/position
• Passion for the intersection of research, data, policy, and politics
• Exceptional strategic, analytical, and critical thinking skills combined with intellectual curiosity
• A “revolutionary” thinker, eager to develop new research tools and problem solve outside the box
• Exceptional ability to clearly communicate complex matters in writing and verbally, clearly and concisely to all audiences
• Excellent knowledge of Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint applications to create visual summaries and infographics from data
• Exceptional adaptability and flexible to meet changing environment
• Strong organizational and time management skills
• Experience conducting research interviews
• Flexible and resilient
• Problem-solving skills
• Strong interpersonal and diplomacy skills
• Shared accountability for results and process
• Sense of urgency and deadline orientation
• Ability to work as part of a team and to work independently; self-initiative, versatile and assumes risk with responsibility
• Demonstrative abilities in collaborative team building and consensus
• Ability to maintain confidentiality
Essential Mental Requirements:
• Must be able to work as an integral part of the Advocacy Team
• Must be able to maintain good rapport with all departments
• Must be able to cope within a fast-paced work environment
• Must be able to manage multiple projects with minimal supervision
• Must be able to understand the importance of the position for the success of the business
• Ability to accept changes and be flexible
• Be on time and with a minimal amount of absence
• Must be able to act with honor, character and integrity
Job Posted: April 14, 2017