The American Academy of PAs (AAPA)
The American Academy of PAs (AAPA) is the national professional society for PAs (physician assistants). PAs have graduate-level degrees from accredited schools, and are nationally certified and state licensed medical providers who conduct physical exams, diagnose and treat illnesses, order and interpret tests, write prescriptions and perform medical procedures in nearly every practice setting and medical specialty.
PAs are integral to modern healthcare and provide a solution to the demand for increased access to cost-effective, evidence-based, patient-centered care. Today there are more than 115,500 PAs in the United States and the profession is expected to grow another 30 percent through 2024.
The Director of Corporate Communications will help develop and execute a strategic communication plan focused on non-media stakeholders. He/she will develop and oversee ongoing implementation of an effective online content strategy that supports the overall goals of each business unit while delivering cohesive and meaningful information to AAPA.org visitors. He/she will have oversight over social media channels, managing both the Online Communications Manager and Corporate Communications Manager. Together, the corporate communications unit in the communications department will maintain AAPA’s PA Communications Guide and Editorial Style Guide, serve as an internal resource for editing and writing needs, and develop content in a variety of forms, including speeches, executive presentations, news stories, and blog posts.
Vice President, Communications
Manager, Corporate Communications; and
Manager, Online Communications
RESPONSIBILITIES & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Works collaboratively across AAPA departments to develop and maintain a content calendar that supports organizational business goals and advances understanding of the PA profession.
- Develops and oversees ongoing implementation of an effective online content strategy that supports the overall goals of each business unit while delivering cohesive and meaningful information to AAPA.org visitors.
- Analyzes data related to content performance to influence content strategy.
- Works collaboratively with the Manager, Online Communications to execute online content strategy that engages audiences across social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and Snapchat.
- Manages the official blog of AAPA and develops weekly content updates; solicits third-party blog posts in support of AAPA business objectives while managing the submission process.
- Writes speeches and prepares executive presentations for senior leadership and other departments; works with graphic designers to bring presentations to life in a visual format.
- Develops other strategic content when necessary, including feature stories.
- Maintains AAPA’s PA Communications Guide and Editorial Style Guide and serves as an internal resource for editing needs for a variety of deliverables/materials; manages workflow of outsourced editing projects to meet deadlines.
- Oversees strategic communications projects and develops deliverables to support projects and initiatives such as PA Week, AAPA 2017 (annual conference) and the 50th anniversary of the profession.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism, marketing or a related field.
- Advanced degree, professional affiliations or other relevant formal training are a plus.
- At least 10 years of experience in a communications-related field, including 4 years in a management/supervisory capacity.
- Expert in AP style, accomplished editor and proofreader.
- Experience in a complex organization required; public health or healthcare field a plus.
- Experience advising top executives.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Outstanding management skills.
- Energetic, proactive, creative and collaborative leader and team member.
- Exceptional professional judgment.
Job Posted: April 11, 2017