Association for Accessible Medicines
Job Summary: The Director, Federal Government Affairs (GA) will be responsible for managing a range of government relations initiatives and projects to promote the federal policy goals and objectives of the Association for Accessible Medicines (AAM). The Director will work closely with GA staff and across the organization to implement the initiatives of AAM’s government affairs program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Lobby Congress and the Administration on behalf of AAM on a range of federal policy issues impacting generic and biosimilar manufacturing and expanding utilization of such products; act as AAM staff lead for assigned Congressional offices.
• Collaborate with AAM government affairs and policy staff to develop federal policy goals, strategic plans, and legislative strategy.
• Develop, maintain and expand relationships and communications with Congressional staff on key committees and in Congressional offices to ensure AAM is known as a thought and policy leader on issues and policies impacting the generic and biosimilar industry; identify risks and opportunities for the organization.
• Monitor, analyze, and respond to current and potential legislation and Congressional action related to the generic industry.
• Attend Congressional hearing and markups on issues that affect the generic industry.
• Lead internal processes to articulate the organization’s priorities to Congress, including testimony drafting, witness preparation.
• Serve on internal AAM and generic industry task forces to develop AAM policy and provide updates to member companies as assigned.
• Work with member companies and Congressional staff to organize Capitol Hill policy briefings, fly-ins, etc.
• Attend and represent AAM at various political and governmental events and meetings. • Represent AAM in coalitions.
• Perform other duties as assigned consistent with the goals of AAM.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability AAM is an Equal Opportunity Employer 2 required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Working knowledge of FDA drug approval processes and of the generic and biosimilar industry
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Exceptional interpersonal skills, a focused listener
• Exhibits a positive attitude and professional demeanor
• Exhibits a high degree of personal initiative and desire to achieve success for AAM
• Exceptional organizational and project management skills for timely implementation of projects involving multiple functions and external resources
• Ability to prioritize and manage multiple initiatives simultaneously
• Ability to work in a collaborative environment and accomplish tasks with self-direction and provide exemplary customer service
• Ability to work creatively and with flexibility in a fast paced environment while maintaining high work standards
• Fluent computer skills, including basic use of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
Education and Experience Requirements:
• Bachelor’s Degree, required
• 5+ years of professional experience in government or a government relations role or Congressional or Administration experience, required
• Experience in health care policy with a general knowledge and understanding of key health care issues; a basic understanding of the pharmaceutical sector, required
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Standard office environment
Travel: up to 15%
For more information: http://www.gphaonline.org/media/wysiwyg/PDF/AAM_Director_Federal_Affairs_1_3_17_v2.pdf
Job Posted: March 12, 2017