REQUISITION ID: 30519BR
JOB TITLE: Director Government Affairs
DIVISION: 2000: Republic Services, Inc.
LOCATION: 04218: Phoenix-18500 N Allied Way
POSITION TYPE: Full-Time
EXEMPT STATUS: Exempt
The Director, Government Affairs, leads the state and local government and regulatory efforts for designated Area(s) with revenues exceeding $1 billion annually and/or a high volume of relevant, and most often complex, bills during legislative sessions. The Director, Government Affairs ensures organizational consistency and visibility with government decision makers at the state level across the geography they support, ensures company compliance with all political and lobbying activities, and assists in maintaining the highest ethical standards through improved training, communications and cooperative efforts.
The Director, Government Affairs also provides leadership, support and expertise to the respective EVP of Operations, Area President, General Managers, Business Development Director, Area Municipal Services Director, and all other applicable Municipal Services Managers. This includes the development of relationships and public affairs strategies to improve our effectiveness on new or current municipal sales/retention opportunities as well as business development activities.
• Supports one or more Area Presidents, applicable General Managers, and the Business Development and Municipal Services teams in the preparation and implementation of government and public affairs plans in the respective Area(s) including:
- Measures current conditions, identifying the targeted legislative and regulatory opportunities and creating strategies to convert
these into law or regulations; and
- Assesses the external environment including financial conditions, competitors and political environment; testifies on behalf of the Company at various hearings and serves as the face of the Company at the legislature.
- Works closely with Area and Corporate leadership to determine strategic objectives for the Company in relation to legislation and regulations that are conducive to Company growth and profit improvement to include impacts on customer retention, environmental compliance, and business development activities.
- Works with and manages outside lobbying and/or consulting teams that are responsible for representing the Company during the legislative or regulatory development process to include reviewing issues and establishing positions and talking points that represent the Company goals and brand, while assessing effectiveness of the lobbying/consulting teams via tangible outcomes that produce a return on our investment. Helps transition political relationships to local teams throughout their efforts. Coordinates public affairs efforts with Corporate Communications team.
- Prepares and works with internal resources to prepare white papers or other tools to effectively manage major issues or legislative efforts.
- Develops and maintains positive community relations/image through involvement in civic and trade organizations, and calls on City Councils, Boards, County Supervisors and other key contacts in key market areas.
- Helps drive new growth by analyzing trends in municipal and state budgets and providing effective feedback to area leadership.
- Effectively communicates Company objectives, goals, and plans and relates concerns on legislation and regulations while maintaining relationships with government officials in the targeted markets where business and market opportunities exist.
- Creates and maintains effective reporting systems, including communication to and with the Area President and senior management as necessary. Safeguards confidential information.
- This position may require travel by air, car and/or other modes of transportation up to 80% of the time.
- Performs other job-related duties and functions as required or assigned.
The statements used herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by an employee in this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required by an incumbent so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
• Bachelor’s degree in History, Business, Marketing, Political Science or related field.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in related government affairs, lobbying or public affairs activities (Required).
- Minimum of 5 years of direct responsibility working the state legislative or regulatory process managing over 150+ relevant bills during legislative sessions.
- Demonstrated experience in municipal and/or government relations or public affairs.
- Waste, transportation or service industry experience.
- Experience working on legislative or regulatory issues and processes for a governmental entity or private sector company.
- Experience working with outside lobbying or consulting firms on projects or legislative efforts.
- Ability to train and mentor talent on the nuances of dealing with elected and appointed officials.
- Ability to develop strong and trusting relationships and gain support from elected, appointed and volunteer government officials and entities.
- Experience managing complex projects, including management of multiple concurrent deadlines and priorities.
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Job Posted: March 25, 2017