We are seeking an experienced individual to join our Government Affairs team to oversee regional and institutional political activity within the LATAM and CAC regions, based in Washington DC. This position has an important role to play in supporting the business units based in the US (Foster City -Access Operations & Emerging Markets – and the regional headquarters for Latin America and the Caribbean in Miami) as well as the offices in the region.
The successful candidate will be expected to have regular contact with the political leadership most specifically the Ministries of Health and at the same time with the leadership at the executive level to sensitize government officials about (1) who Gilead is; (2) explain that the company wants to be a partner for healthcare in the region through its unique access program and (3) to provide a platform for an ongoing dialogue with regional governments. Such engagement needs to extend both the Chiefs of Mission at the Foreign Embassies in Washington DC and with the US Embassies in country.
Other duties will include but not limited to:
- Develop, manage, and coordinate strategies, initiatives, operations, and activities related to international legislation, programs and executive branch affairs
- Create a positive presence for Gilead Sciences among federal legislators; US and country based foreign officials, embassies and Executive Branch personnel, for the purpose of facilitating and enhancing Gilead’s goals of reducing adverse government actions and promoting government policies that enhance Gilead’s mission
- Work collaboratively with other members of government affairs, legal, medical affairs and access department as well as other Gilead departments to raise awareness of issues affecting Gilead’s business, departmental activities are consistent with government affairs initiatives, government affairs initiatives are consistent with Gilead policy objectives, and help Gilead identify opportunities to work with the government to advance its mission
- Work with internal team to help develop and steer Gilead policy agenda Monitor the international legislative/regulatory environment with the objective of providing Gilead’s management with sophisticated information and options on dealing with developments so that the corporation’s interests are achieved
- Establish and direct a strong network of federal contract lobbyists and consultants who will further the corporation’s objectives as well as outreach to regional governments which will be critical to the success in Latin America and the Caribbean
- Implement strategies that ensure that Gilead’s participation in various international trade associations is maximized
Essential Duties and Job Functions:
- Successful track record of being a leader in policy setting environments such as in-house at a corporation, trade association, a relevant committee on Capitol Hill or in a relevant Department, Embassy or Agency
- Must have advanced skills, depth and expertise in government affairs as well as advanced business judgment and analytical skills • Extensive experience in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industries preferred • Strong relationships with government officials, policy-makers and agencies • Must have extensive experience working in a project-team environment
- In-depth knowledge of the healthcare system and key policies relevant for pharmaceutical market access for highly innovative medicines is essential
- Experience of establishing external stakeholder groups to advance policy goals Requires a good track record of experience in implementing projects with defined outcomes in government, a government affairs, public affairs or policy role
- Knowledge of the US HIV, HBV & HCV, Liver Disease and Oncology policy environment is preferred – an understanding of public health/global health policy issues is essential.
- Excellent strategic thinker with ability to formulate, develop and execute on agreed strategies.
- • Strong executive presence with ability to command respect through experience internally and externally • Strong entrepreneurial skills and sound business judgment and analytical skills
- Skilled at managing cross-functional teams or working groups and strong team player Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communications skills
- Experience of budget and cost center management
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- Typically requires a BS or BA degree and with significant prior experience in government, government affairs, international public affairs or global policy role
- A MA or MS degree and relevant experience is preferred
- Minimum 10 years’ experience in government relations function with either corporation, trade association or special interest group
- Knowledge of federal government rules, regulations and codes of conduct
- Proven ability to maximize existing relationships with US and Foreign elected officials.
- Must possess strong negotiation and consensus building skills
- Approach needs to be ongoing, consistent and requires high level of sensitization to all engagements with regional governments and institutional engagements
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact email@example.com for assistance.
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the ‘EEO is the Law’ poster.
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
Job Posted: March 28, 2017