Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries – and growing – we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
This position is responsible for a set of key activities that are core to the Federal Government Relations function: lobbying Congress, developing and maintaining productive, positive policy and advocacy relationships on Capitol Hill and in the Administration, leading engagement with state societies and other allied organizations, supporting grassroots/employee education and political engagement, and supporting/leading initiatives to promote awareness of the Company with policymakers, staff, and other Washington, DC based stakeholders.
The position requires creative thinking to identify opportunities and strong management skills to execute plans which enhance Celgene reputation as a patient-centered organization and positively impact the regulatory and legislative process.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
Federal Government Policy & Advocacy
- Support efforts to achieve Celgene US Public Policy goals and priorities through lobbying in the Congress and Executive Branch.
- Develop and maintain productive policy and advocacy relationships on Capitol Hill and among Washington, DC stakeholders. Participate in Hill meetings with legislators and staff as well as fundraising or committee events as appropriate.
- Engage Federal Government on issues impacting specific franchises
- Assist in the direction and management of retained policy counsel
- Work with Celgene US Public Policy team to identify and analyze Celgene’s public policy priorities.
- Lead on specified issues the development of advocacy materials, including: researching and drafting fact sheets or talking points
Trade Association & Coalition Development & Advancement
- Working with Celgene Patient Advocacy, engage with key patient partners and coalitions to support Celgene issue advocacy.
- Develop and maintain working coalitions with trade associations and other partners to ensure collaboration on key initiatives and advocacy.
- Support engagement in trade associations by developing written material for Celgene board members.
- Lead engagement with state societies and other allied organizations to develop coalitions and working groups.
Internal Advocacy Programs
- Provide leadership for Celgene employee political and policy engagement through Celgene Ambassadors for Innovation program.
- Develop opportunities to bring lawmakers to Celgene facilities or other venues with large numbers of Celgene employees.
- Undergraduate degree required.
- At least seven years’ experience in one or more of the following fields: Capitol Hill legislative staff, public relations, government relations, political activities, lobbying firm, or political campaigns.
- Demonstrated capability in Federal Government Relations issues management and policy advocacy, including Capitol Hill lobbying.
- Strong writing ability and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with internet-based communications and social media preferred; ability to work with PowerPoint, Excel, Word, and database communications is required.
Celgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.
Job Posted: January 23, 2017