Newport Beach, CA
The Director, Government Relations plays a key role in overseeing Pacific Life’s involvement in International legislative and regulatory issues by incorporating public policy development, advocacy, and strategies on behalf of Pacific Life. The Director will work with the SVP, Treasury and Tax and the Regulatory Modernization Working Group to ensure Pacific Life is prepared for the potential onslaught of new rules and regulations pertaining to international capital standards, group supervision, and covered agreements. The Director will also work with the Vice Presidents on Federal and State issues regarding policy development, Advocacy, and strategy. Additionally, the Director is responsible for government relations in the communications with Corporate, Divisions, and Subsidiaries to keep them apprised of issues of interest. This includes organizing regular meetings with corporate and the division senior management; creating and publishing a bi-weekly report on such issues; producing regular summaries that assess priority issues and risk for the company; and ensuring our communications are reaching the appropriate personnel. Other responsibilities include:
• Serve as a voting member of the ACLI International Markets and Trade Committee, and as the company’s representative, advocate the company’s position.
• Lead all aspects of Pacific Life’s grassroots efforts at the state, federal and international levels, which includes developing messaging, strategy, along with outreach to the company’s employees, distribution channels and/or policyholders on issues of major concern to the life insurance industry.
• Coordinate with internal resources and directing advocacy efforts with regard to emerging issues assigned to him by the Vice Presidents of Government Relations. Examples are: Privacy/Cybersecurity/Big Data and Senior Protections, which are issues that cross over between state and federal levels.
• Provide Director level support to the Vice Presidents in Government Relations on state and federal government relations activities and issues.
• Assist in the management of the Federal Political Committee and the PAC newsletter.
Factors for Success:
• 10 years’ Government Relations and advocacy (lobbying) experience
• Life insurance industry preferred
• College degree preferred
• Own, cultivate, and maintain a list of legislative or regulatory contacts
• Ability to operate effectively, even when things are not certain or the way forward is not clear
• Relates openly and comfortably with diverse groups of people
• Ability to see ahead of future possibilities and translating them into breakthrough strategies
• Can maneuver comfortably through complex policy, process, and people-related organization dynamics
Join the Pacific Life team and watch your career grow! We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package that includes: • Competitive salary and bonus program • Medical, dental, and vision as part our commitment in investing in the health and wellbeing of our employees • Two retirement savings plans: 401k savings plan with company match and Company Retirement Contribution (company-paid) • Generous vacation time and holiday pay • And much more!
Pacific Life Insurance Company is an Equal Opportunity /Affirmative Action Employer, M/F/D/V. If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request an accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access our career center as a result of your disability. To request an accommodation, contact a Human Resources Representative at Pacific Life Insurance Company.
Job Posted: February 15, 2017