American Red Cross
As one of the nation’s premier humanitarian organizations, the American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with other Red Cross networks, throughout the world. We depend on the many generous contributions of time, blood, and money from the American public to support our lifesaving services and programs. If you share our passion for helping people, join us in this excellent career opportunity. What better way to use your legislative and government relations skills, than here at the American Red Cross??
The Director of Government Relations is a senior leader on the Government Relations team that must have extensive legislative, regulatory and strategic planning experience at all levels of government to include the White House, the Federal Agencies and Capitol Hill. The next Director’s primary focus will be on engaging and building upon relationships with the White House and key White House staff. The Director must have outstanding written communication skills and must effectively assume a leadership responsibility in developing advocacy materials, congressional testimony, position papers/statements, and other written materials to advance the Department’s public policy agenda. The Director will be responsible for analyzing some of the most complex issues that the Department is responsible for including disaster management, labor and employment issues, and coalition management. The Director is responsible for developing, maintaining and leveraging senior relationships with key government officials for the benefit of the Red Cross and must be able to distill complex information and provide regular briefings to Red Cross senior leaders.
As one of the senior lobbyists in the Department, the Director must engage in these responsibilities with minimal supervision. The Director must have a proven (successful) track record on Capitol Hill. As a trusted senior advisor and counselor to the Senior Vice President, the Director is one of the most senior “faces of the department” inside and outside the organization. This individual will be relied upon extensively for their legislative, regulatory, political and business acumen. This position is based in Washington DC.
Serves as one of the organization’s senior leaders and must have expertise in the afore mentioned issue areas. Establishes strategic and tactical plans around relationship building and execution of the ARC’s business priorities. Interprets, recommends and executes at a senior level the organizations priorities by analyzing legislation/regulation and engaging with key stakeholders and partners. Must be able to develop strong relationships with internal stakeholders to include the ARC’s business units and to work closely with Red Cross Chapters. Essential skills include: Exceptional communication skills (oral and written), superior public policy acumen, political sophistication and ability to work with senior elected officials and the staff and is able to confidently represents the priorities of the organization at the highest levels of government and with key stakeholder groups. Ability to develop strategic, collaborative and innovative approach to public policy solutions. Must have the ability to engage in anticipatory thinking and can use such skills coupled with his/her strategic ability to favorably position the organization for opportunities and success.
- Strategically analyzes legislation/regulations in the areas previously identified for their impact on the organization and able to successfully provide briefings and written analysis to the organization’s senior leaders in order that the organization can be successfully positioned on Capitol Hill in these areas
- Responsible for developing legislative/regulatory strategic plans with the SVP to advance the Red Cross public policy agenda and assist the other team members in this process.
- Responsible for developing one pagers, other collateral, and testimony. Serve as one of the primary editors of selected written correspondence after the Senior Vice President.
- Thorough understanding and extensive experience with federal legislative regulatory processes.
- Excellent communicator with stellar verbal and oral skills who can advocate on behalf of the organization and influence elected officials.
- Serves as the primary lead on issues related to ARC governance issues on Capitol Hill and in other venues
- Attends high-level strategic leadership meetings on all tax issues and provides strategic recommendations to senior leadership.
- Ability to manage relationships with skill, tact and diplomacy with internal and external stakeholders.
- Responsible for providing insights and recommendations in all matters related to lobbying disclosure and Congressional ethics requirements.
- Represents the American Red Cross at a senior level to non-profit coalitions and interacts with these coalitions at a senior level.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
A degree in public policy, political science or similar discipline is required, graduate degree is preferred. The candidate must have 10 years of relevant experience and possess superior written and oral communication skills and can distill complex information contained in legislation/regulations and communicate this information to senior leaders, inside and outside the organization. He/She must have work experience on Capitol Hill as a staffer, attorney and/ or lobbyist. Must be able to interface with Red Cross senior leadership on a regular basis and must be both adept and comfortable working closely with the organization’s lines of business. Must possess the emotional intelligence, political tact and business acumen in all aspects of the job. This individual must also serve as a leader in the department and assume responsibilities related to teaching, coaching and training other members of the team. It is required that the candidate possess exceptional leadership skills and is able to work and engage with a wide array of senior executives and issues. Proven track record of collaboration, facilitation, and problem solving, marketing and partnership management. Willingness to serve as a “back-up” to the department’s state relations function. Additionally, this position requires ability for strategic analysis, planning, and technical writing. Individual must be analytical, solution and customer oriented, organized, and confident. Must be able to work independently as a leader and often as part of a team.
The American Red Cross is a nonprofit organization that offers employees growth and development; team spirit; a competitive salary; and a comprehensive benefits package.
Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee’s professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment.
To view the EEOC Summary of Rights, click here: Summary of Rights
Job Posted: April 19, 2017