American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA)
The purpose of this position is to provide strategic leadership to the Association’s government relations & public policy (GRPP) cluster, which includes federal, state, and health care reimbursement advocacy and communications, by organizing, mobilizing, and providing leadership to achieve preferred outcomes related to the advocacy issues identified in ASHA’s annual public policy agenda. The incumbent serves as the Association’s point person for GRPP and is responsible for ensuring that effective strategies are implemented to achieve successful results. The leader will focus on issues and initiatives that represent the comprehensive needs and interests of the Association’s members as well as persons with communication disorders and conveying these issues to federal and state policy makers, external organizations, and coalitions.
- Provide vision to ensure that ongoing current and future-focused needs and trends analyses in government relations and public policy are conducted and that strategies for necessary change are developed and implemented in accordance with the strategic pathway.
- Coordinate, prioritize, and contribute to the overall work of the GRPP cluster, including the development and implementation of effective strategies to accomplish ASHA’s public policy agenda in collaboration with the GRPP team leaders. Ensure the Association’s active participation in the development and presentation of ASHA advocacy materials, including position statements, testimony, and grassroots advocacy to advance the public policy agenda to federal and state policy makers.
- Work with ASHA leaders, members, and other National Office staff to identify and prioritize current and future initiatives for the Association’s public policy agenda.
- Collaborate with GRPP Team Leaders and other National Office Staff to effectively communicate legislative, regulatory, political, and overall public policy issues to ASHA’s leadership, members, and external organizations. Develop and maintain working relationships with peers at external organizations.
- Coach GRPP team leaders and evaluate performance.
- Develop and manage cluster-wide budget. Proactively support and advocate for appropriate funding for emerging issues among teams.
- Serve as ex officio to the Association’s boards or committees as assigned.
Knowledge Typically Acquired Through
- a degree in political science, public policy, or a related field (graduate degree preferred)
- 10 years of strategic experience at an association, Congress, federal or state agency, or state legislature dealing with public policy formulation and advocacy
- 5 years of experience mentoring and supervising others
Scope and Depth of Technical Skills/Knowledge
- in-depth understanding of and extensive experience with, federal and state legislative and regulatory processes and grassroots activities
- demonstrated ability to navigate the public policy arena and to determine and implement strategic approaches to achieving public policy initiatives
Scope and Depth of Non-Technical Skills/Knowledge
- demonstrated success at and commitment to creating and maintaining a high performing team, including strong facilitative leadership skills
- demonstrated ability to see the “big picture” and position the Association for success
- demonstrated ability to foster an innovative and collaborative approach to work
- demonstrated ability to achieve consensus when opposing viewpoints are presented
- outstanding writing and oral communication skills
- excellent interpersonal skills
EOE/minorities, women, persons with disabilities, veterans with disabilities and Vietnam veterans are encouraged to apply.
Job Posted: February 20, 2017