American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA)
The purpose of this position is to advance the association’s public policy agenda by coordinating the association’s political action committee activities and assist in grassroots advocacy; arrange opportunities for Association members to interact with their legislators, and pursuing lobbying activities that will lead to positive policy outcomes. The incumbent will also serve as a lobbyist for the organization.
- Oversee all aspects of ASHA-PAC, including fundraising and disbursements, accurate recording of all transactions, serve as assistant treasurer to the ASHA-PAC.
- Work with the Director of Federal and Political Advocacy and the Associate Director of Member Engagement to develop and implement advocacy strategies to coincide the PAC and lobbying activities.
- Assess credibility and viability of candidates for federal offices seeking ASHA-PAC support.
- Prepare financial and activity reports and materials for ASHA-PAC Board of Directors and other Association Boards and Committees.
- Assist the Director of Federal and Political Advocacy with the association’s lobbying, political fundraising events and advocacy activities with individual members, staff, committees and subcommittees of Congress, as well as career and appointed officials with federal agencies and outside coalitions.
- Assist the Director of Federal and Political Advocacy in the development and implementation of advocacy goals, strategies, and specific tactics to implement the association’s public policy agenda.
- Prepare, support, and counsel Association members to advocate effectively public policy change in their home districts and on Capitol Hill by developing action alerts, issue briefs, sample constituent letters, and other materials.
- Ensure compliance with all Federal Election and Lobby Disclosure laws, including filing of appropriate reports.
- Serve as the ex-officio of the ASHA-PAC Board.
Knowledge Typically Acquired Through
- Degree in political or social science, journalism, or related field preferred
- Five or more years experience in a similar position
Scope and Depth of Technical Skills/Knowledge
- Knowledge of the legislative process, grassroots mobilization techniques, PACs, Federal Election, and Lobby Disclosure laws
- Ongoing relationships with Members of Congress, their personal staff, and congressional committee staff, health care and/or education focus preferred
- Ability to successfully lobby members of Congress, congressional committees, and their staff
Scope and Depth of Non-Technical Skills/Knowledge
- Superior writing skills and ability to produce written materials quickly
- Excellent oral communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to work and interact with a diverse array of individuals, members of Congress, legislative staff, internal staff, external contacts
Job Posted: February 25, 2017