Forest Resources Association (FRA)
|The Director of Public Affairs serves as the voice of FRA, managing all internal and external communications with members, media and elected officials. The Director reports to the President.
Day-to-day work includes: Maintaining effective communications with key external stakeholders; establishing a solid understanding of FRA’s mission, priorities and key issues; proactive collaboration with Regional Managers, Members and Allies to develop targeted strategies for the industry; and managing all external communications activities, including directing and directing staff members who produce external communications via publications, web content, digital and social media, media relations, government relations, and graphic services.
Core Job Responsibilities:
1) Manage public policy issue advocacy and grassroots. Provide analysis, progress summaries to membership, indicating high priorities as they emerge.
2) Serve as National press liaison, producing and distributing news releases, Promote FRA publications, programs and award winners through FRA News Releases.
3) Work with FRA’s President to strengthen relationships with organizations, coalitions, and other industry groups and leaders to help advance advocacy for FRA.
4) Develop and implement an integrated, organization wide strategic communications plan to broaden awareness of industry and strengthen FRA’s brand identity across key stakeholder audiences
5) Identify and track regulatory concerns and opportunities at federal government level.
6) Special projects as assigned.
1. Bachelor’s degree in communications, political science or public policy degrees and 7+ years relevant experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
2. Association experience a plus
3. Demonstrated understanding in Federal advocacy/public policy, community organization/mobilization, media/communications, and grassroots advocacy tactic development and implementation.
4. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with volunteers, staff, and the public as part of a team.
5. Demonstrated ability to simultaneously manage multiple, complex projects in varying stages of development under time constraints.
6. Demonstrated understanding and appreciation for the use of technology and media engagement.
7. Able to employ good judgment, flexibility, critical thinking and a practical approach.
8. Familiarity and working knowledge of transportation, H-2B Visa, labor, public speaking, and forest management policies a plus.
Job Posted: February 17, 2017