Who is Mastercard?
We are the global technology company behind the world’s fastest payments processing network. We are a vehicle for commerce, a connection to financial systems for the previously excluded, a technology innovation lab, and the home of Priceless®. We ensure every employee has the opportunity to be a part of something bigger and to change lives. We believe as our company grows, so should you. We believe in connecting everyone to endless, priceless possibilities.
Director, Public Policy – US
Mastercard’s Public Policy team protects and defends Mastercard’s reputational and legislative interests in markets around the world. We build programs that earn the goodwill of governments, policymakers, financial institutions, merchants, and consumers through direct policymaker engagements and public-private partnerships. Our aim is to build a platform for policies around the world that support Mastercard’s business priorities. This role forms part of the team driving Mastercard’s public policy advocacy efforts in the U.S.
The Director, U.S. Public Policy reports directly to the Senior Vice President & Head of Government Affairs, North America and is based in our Washington DC office.
• Develop and execute strategies to favorably position Mastercard with critical governmental and non-governmental audiences
• Communicate regularly with internal business line owners and product teams to ensure awareness of potential risks and benefits of various legislative and regulatory initiatives
• Work with internal product teams to help tailor Mastercard products and services to address specific government needs
• Monitor and provide timely and insightful reports on developments and trends specific to the Company’s identified public policy priorities. Such issues could include a wide range of payments issues including, tax, trade, interchange, cyber and data security, privacy, intellectual property, mobile payments, and consumer protection.
• Establish and maintain a sophisticated network of political contacts in the payments arena, specifically with key Capitol Hill lawmakers and staff, government agencies, trade associations, and third party groups/community groups who share Mastercard’s vision of financial inclusion and empowerment through the use of electronic payments.
• Advance Mastercard’s public policy objectives with government officials and other external stakeholders
• Assume leadership of key public policy priorities and provide team support to others
• Assist in the management and oversight of external consulting resources
All About You:
Our ideal candidate will have:
• A genuine interest in public policy, current events, and the political environment with the intellectual horsepower to grasp complex issues
• A flexible and adaptable working style to react to demanding workload and changing priorities and willingness to work as part of a team
• Demonstrated experience in the legislative arena, serving either in the private or public sector. Experience in a financial services or technology company, or with electronic payments policy is ideal, but not required.
• Proven ability to build collaborative working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders at the global/regional or local level
• Significant political acumen and established bi-partisan contacts with Members of Congress, Congressional staff, and in the Administration
• A keen understanding of the legislative process
• An ability to work with a wide range of personalities and interests, including industry colleagues, policymakers, government staffers, and internal executives
• Extensive leadership, political, and organizational skills
• Proven ability to successfully navigate the political world in order to deliver legislative results
• Ability to translate business goals into results through the development and execution of effective advocacy with industry peers and political leaders
• Capacity to understand complex legislative procedures and to work with broad coalitions
• Excellent written and spoken communication and interpersonal skills coupled with the ability to message complex issues in simple and concise ways
• The ability to work in and be an integral part of an action-oriented, decision-making environment
• Have existing relationships or the ability to build a network at all levels of government and business
• Extensive experience in independently communicating compelling value propositions to important audiences both internal and external
• Entrepreneurial spirit with proven ability to operate in a corporate environment and experience operating in a matrix organizational structure
Job Posted: April 5, 2017