Service Employees International Union
Job Title: Director of Strategic Communications
ABOUT SEIU LOCAL 49
SEIU Local 49 represents a diverse group of 13,000 healthcare and property service workers throughout Oregon and Southwest Washington. Our members include: caregivers, security officers, janitors and workers in manufacturing and other industries. The continued growth of our union reflects an aggressive approach to organizing and community engagement on key progressive issues, paired with a longstanding dedication to improving the wages, benefits and working conditions of working families. Local 49 is part of the Service Employees International Union (SEIU), one of the largest and fastest-growing unions in the United States.
SEIU 49 is hiring a full-time Director of Strategic Communications to support the union’s internal and external communications efforts for various campaigns. This position will lead membership engagement, new media outreach and growth, along with material production and member engagement initiatives for numerous campaigns. The Director of Strategic Communications is part of the union leadership team.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
- Develop, drive and manage communication plans for various internal and external campaigns using online, new media and print material tools.
- Lead the management and development of messaging and content for various platforms and social media properties — including websites, Twitter, Facebook and YouTube
- Assist in design and production of written and web materials, including those for the organizing, political, and other departments
- Help to generate positive media coverage for the union, its members and causes
- Work with and help provide direction to consultants, partner organizations and others
- Train members and staff on best practices in communication technology
- Support general message development around key issues and campaigns
- Other duties as assigned
- 4+ years experience in a senior communications role with a union, progressive candidate/elected official or grassroots organization (or comparable experience in journalism or marketing)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, with demonstrated success delivering strategic messaging for various media and for diverse audiences
- Ability to design basic print and web and social-media materials under tight deadlines (using Adobe Creative Suite, and Microsoft Office)
- Working knowledge of common content management programs (such as WordPress) and social media tools
- Experience with photo and/or video equipment and editing software (Photoshop, iMovie, Final Cut, etc.) a plus
- Basic web design skills a plus
- Experience pitching and working with journalists, bloggers and editors
- Commitment to the labor movement and overall progressive social change
- Ability to work under pressure, both independently and as part of a team
- Works well with others, is creative and has a good sense of humor
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours, including nights and weekends
SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary range is $56,240 – $81,940, depending on experience. SEIU Local 49 offers a generous benefits package.
SEIU Local 49 is an equal opportunity employer. Interested candidates should submit a résumé, cover letter and samples of writing and design work to firstname.lastname@example.org or:
Dave Cutler SEIU
3536 NE 26th Avenue
Portland, Oregon 97202
The deadline for application is Friday, April 28, 2017. No phone calls please.
People of color, people with disabilities, and people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions and identities are encouraged to apply. SEIU is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Job Posted: April 12, 2017