SEIU United Healthcare Workers-West (UHW) (Service Employees International Union)
SEIU United Healthcare Workers-West (UHW), with more than 90,000 members, is the largest
healthcare union in California. We are caregivers from every sector of the industry, united to win
better care for our patients and better lives for our families and ourselves. For further information
about UHW, please visit our website: www.seiu-uhw.org.
Advocates with members of the California Legislature, members of Congress and other elected
officials to persuade them to support or oppose legislation or regulation on behalf of SEIU-UHW. GR
Coordinators are responsible for overseeing all aspects of major projects or programs within the
department. Coordinators are responsible for directing the work of multiple staff, contractors and
member leaders in support of objectives. Under the supervision of the Director, the coordinator
collaborates in the overall development and implementation of the department’s strategic
organizational plan. Directly supervises the work of legislative advocate(s).
Essential Job Functions:
- Writing legislative language, support/oppose letters, comments on proposed regulations press releases, and reports.
- Testifies as expert witness before various agencies.
- Organizing meetings of stakeholders, allies and elected officials.
- Attending events such as political fundraisers, briefings, stakeholder meetings and committee hearings.
- Analyzing information sources produced by the Legislative Analyst Office, State Auditor, the Executive Branch, public policy foundations, government departments, non-government organizations (NGOs) and think tanks.
- Providing SEIU-UHW with information about policy and political developments in the fields of healthcare, labor and public finance.
- Responding to information requests.
- Offering strategic advice to SEIU-UHW on legislative and regulatory issues.
- Communicating with relevant official bodies.
- Liaising with civil servants, elected officials, regulatory bodies and local government staff.
- The GR Coordinator is responsible for working with staff from other divisions to integrate various elements of the program or campaign.
- The GR Coordinator is responsible for the overseeing programs in support of the goals and strategic organizational plan for the department.
- Responsible for the review and evaluation of campaigns or program work.
- Develops recommended budgets, allocates resources effectively and plans and implements program activities as appropriate.
- Three years of experience in the field of governmental relations or working in the Legislature or equivalent body.
- In depth knowledge of relevant subjects including health policy, the California State Budget, legislative processes and procedures, California regulatory processes and California politics.
- Knowledge of union, health care workers and health care workplaces
- Good research and analytical skills.
- Interpersonal skills, including an ability to be effective in a multi-cultural and diverse organization like SEIU-UHW and also in the complex environment of California government.
- Communication skills both writing and speaking.
- IT skills include working knowledge of computer programs including Word, Excel,e-mail, accessing the Internet, and databases.
- Work long and varying hours including weekends, nights and holidays; Driving long distances for extended periods of time; Traveling statewide and out of state with overnights and periods away from home may be required.
- Other duties as assigned.
The Coordinator is required to have a valid driver’s license, automobile insurance and a working
Able to drive, sit, stand, and walk for long periods of time. Ability to work long and irregular hours
including nights and weekends.
The GR Coordinator works closely with and interacts with government officials, officers, other staff,
staff from other labor organizations, grassroots organizations, trade associations, union members,
workers and employers.
SEIU-UHW offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and a generous benefit
A resume is required for all applications and a cover letter is highly suggested. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for us, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
SEIU-UHW is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability.
To apply click here
Job Posted: March 22, 2017