Purpose of Job
We are currently seeking talented Government Relations Director – Western Region for our Remote facility.
Identifies and analyzes proposed legislation that could impact USAA’s operations. Acts directly as USAA’s representative in legislative and public policy matters, or guides outside counsel as USAA’s representative. Represents USAA in industry organizations concerned with legislation and public policy. Plays a key role in developing political strategy. Acts as an internal resource on legislative and regulatory matters.
- Analyzes proposed legislation for early identification of issues relevant to USAA and coordinates strategies to achieve USAA’s legislative objectives. Works with other company and trade association’s representatives to ensure appropriate discussion and analysis are considered and the requisite coordinated action is executed. Creates strategy for legislative advocacy and manages implementation of lobbying strategy.
- Directs information resources in relation to active legislation. Responds internally to questions on a variety of legislative issues that affect the company and frequently interacts with senior management on matters requiring inter- and intra-company coordination.
- Understands the political environment and utilizes media, professional contacts and trade associations to identify key issues, political figures and races that might affect USAA’s operations. Provides interpretation and explanation of the more complex legislative enactments. Advises management on prudent political strategy and the potential reaction.
- Maintains knowledge of USAA’s current operations and the financial services industry. Stays abreast of issues in the financial services industry and actively seeks to link those issues to ongoing or emerging legislative opportunities. Maintains relationships both within and outside USAA to facilitate information gathering and dissemination.
- Promotes collaboration of work efforts with and provides guidance to peers, co-workers and outside contacts and independently handles critical situations.
- Represents USAA before State Legislatures and Regulatory Agencies, where appropriate.
- Advises PAC on political contributions, plays an important role in identifying and recruiting speakers to the local campus, and oversees PAC activity at the local level.
- Bachelor Degree or 4 additional years of related experience beyond the minimum required may be substituted in lieu of a degree
- 8 or more years of related experience and accountability for complex tasks and/or projects.
- Subject-matter-expert knowledge of the function/discipline and demonstrated application of knowledge, skills and abilities towards work products.
- Subject-matter-expert level of business acumen in the areas of the business operations, industry practices and emerging trends
- Experience working as an attorney
- Experience lobbying experience and/or government contacts in California, Washington, Oregon and/or Nevada
- Experience working with regulatory agencies preferred
- Ability to travel to California, Washington, Oregon and/or Nevada
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
USAA also offers a variety of on-site services and conveniences to help you manage your work and personal life, including seven cafeterias, two company stores and three fitness centers.
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
To apply: https://search.usaajobs.com/us/en-US/Job-Details/Government-Relations-Director-Job/Nationwide-US/xjdp-jf839-ct104387-jid70499541?s_cid=indeedSponsored&utm_source=indeed.com&utm_campaign=sem_campaign_usaa&utm_medium=job_aggregator&utm_content=paid_search&ss=paid&alid=57582fd40cf21730f5b90ded
Job Posted: February 20, 2017