LEARN MORE ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT/PROGRAM:
Ocean Conservancy’s Government Relations team works to develop and implement policy solutions to address key ocean threats. Through strategic engagement with Congress, the Administration, partner organizations and other stakeholders, we work to educate policy-makers on ocean issues and influence ocean-related legislation and policy decisions to achieve lasting change. We pride ourselves on promoting policy solutions that are visionary, but pragmatic; inspiring and activating key constituencies in new and innovative ways; and working with our program teams to win real policy and legislative changes that protect and promote ocean health.
LEARN MORE ABOUT THE POSITION:
The Government Relations Manager develops, implements, and coordinates efforts to advance Ocean Conservancy’s national policy and legislative agenda. S/he works with our conservation experts to develop principled but pragmatic policy goals, activate new constituencies, and win real policy and legislative changes that protect and promote ocean health. This position will support policy goals across many of the organization’s programs, including issues like Ocean Acidification, Ocean Planning, and Trash-Free Seas.
- This position represents the organization, and maintains close contact with Members of Congress and their staff, and the Administration, on ocean conservation and funding issues.
- The Manager will work closely with Ocean Conservancy program staff to identify and create opportunities to advance specific policy goals, and to develop and implement strategies and tactics to achieve effective policy outcomes.
- This work will include policy analysis, legislative strategy development and implementation, selective stakeholder outreach, and coordination with the NGO community.
- The Manager will help determine when new legislative authority is needed, draft testimony, legislation, and legislative amendments, and respond to requests for information and advocate for the organization’s positions before Congress and federal agencies.
- Proven ability to understand and analyze complex environmental and legislative issues; and develop and implement strategies to advance policy and legislative goals.
- Minimum of one year of experience working with Congress and/or the federal government on policy issues.
- Superior oral and written communication skills, including capacity to communicate complex ideas compellingly to a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to integrate across disciplines and work collaboratively with diverse teams, networks, and coalitions.
- A strategic thinker who can identify, maximize, and create opportunities to advance Ocean Conservancy’s policy goals.
- A high-level performer who will bring the necessary creativity, energy, and commitment; and with the ability to move rapidly in response to policy opportunities as they present themselves.
- Understanding of Congress, the Administration, and the policy-making process.
- Attentive to details and adheres strictly to deadlines and deliverables while keeping a larger vision in mind.
- Highly collaborative with an appreciation of the benefit of a multi-disciplinary team approach.
Advanced degree in political science, environmental policy, law, or marine science preferred.
Knowledge of one or more of the policy issues listed above preferred.
APPLY FOR THE POSITION:
If you think you have what it takes to join Ocean Conservancy’s team, please send a cover letter speaking to your qualifications and abilities to lead a growing exciting program with your resume and salary expectations to: firstname.lastname@example.org and note your name and Government Relations Manager #17-02 in the subject line.
Ocean Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Posted: February 20, 2017