Nuclear Energy Institute
The Nuclear Energy Institute is looking for a Coalitions & Grassroots Manager who will be responsible for preparing strategy and tactical plans to support Federal and State government affairs and NEI priorities. He or she will manage and provide general oversight of NEI’s third-party advocacy coalition, tying those activities to the organization’s government affairs and policy priorities, and will simultaneously work with member companies to support and complement their grassroots and coalition efforts.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the State Governmental Affairs & Advocacy Director to coordinate and provide advocacy and outreach services, products, and knowledge for NEI members. This includes designing and executing proactive engagement efforts through existing online properties, partnering with grassroots and allied organizations, and developing and delivering targeted messages.
- Oversee and work with a team of external consultants on NEI’s external-facing coalition, Nuclear Matters, to achieve program objectives.
- Ensure integration with internal work flows (e.g. NEI’s media relations and digital communications teams)
- In coordination with the State Governmental Affairs & Advocacy Director, work with external consultants to manage Nuclear Matters:
- Overall strategy and messaging (including specific issue messaging, educational materials, etc.)
- Content calendars
- Digital properties
- Staff committees and working groups related to the governance and oversight of Nuclear Matters.
- Provide outreach contact to select grassroots organizations to develop support for and align NEI’s agenda, e.g. American Nuclear Society, Consumer Energy Alliance, etc.
- Develop educational and outreach materials for various audiences; initiate and engage in public and private sector advocacy opportunities, which include public speaking and leading meetings.
- Help maintain databases and records to track relationships on key political supporters, nuclear vendors, legislatures, and corporate and policy organizations around the country.
- Staff and manage outreach at state-based event and conferences.
A minimum of five years’ of related experience, preferably in a public affairs
and advocacy position within a corporation or trade association.
At least two years’ experience in:
- Coordination of multiple issues or activities across groups of stakeholders,
such as government officials or industry representatives.
- Working across multiple practices like government affairs, regulatory affairs,
media relations, etc.
- Preparing presentations, outreach materials, and managing logistics.
Database and website proficiencies are essential.
- Organization of information and files for issue campaigns, legislative
programs, and best practices/case studies.
General knowledge of federal and state government legislative and policy-making
processes is required.
Skills & Abilities:
- Requires the ability to think and act independently, anticipate workload
fluctuations, and set workload priorities to accommodate multiple
simultaneous complex tasks.
- Database management experience is required. Experience using online tools
for issue or candidate campaigning is desired.
- Strong project management, analytic, written and oral communication skills
are required, along with strong personal and project organization skills.
- Proven written communication skills, including a demonstrated ability to write,
educate, persuade and/or motivate.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is required.
- Experience in working with and/or managing consultants is desirable.
The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree, government-related course work or equivalent desired.
Job Posted: February 13, 2017