|Manager, State Relations
Provides a national perspective on state transportation, traffic safety, consumer, automotive and business line issues by tracking and analyzing state issues. Communicates national perspective to clubs and National Office. Prepares and distributes materials to support club grassroots and lobbying activities at the state and local level. Supports Director and coordinates with other Public Affairs staff to manage Association priority initiative(s) by working with club work group(s), developing outreach and education materials, and working with National Office and clubs to meet initiative goals. Identifies priorities and executes strategies in coordination with Public Affairs, Automotive, and others to advance Association interests. Represents AAA with national state legislative organizations.
Relationship of Job to Management
This position reports to the Director, State Relations.
This position has no direct reports.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitors and tracks state legislative and regulatory initiatives of interest to AAA spanning traffic safety, vehicle technology, transportation, consumer, and business line interests. Tracks state issues, updates issue briefs, drafts summaries for clubs, and writes stories for internal/external publications. (20%)
- Identifies developing trends and devises strategies to protect the interests of members and clubs. Analyzes legislative proposals and prepares feedback, suggestions and legislative strategies to assist clubs in lobbying efforts. (10%)
- Communicates with club executives and staff on traffic safety and business line issues affecting the states. (10%)
- Manages and coordinates national advocacy and education initiatives. Develops strategic plans for issue-specific campaigns, develops materials to support club efforts, coordinates with other AAA departments to ensure clubs have the research and communication materials needed to support the initiative. (15%)
- Works collaboratively with the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety to develop research ideas, digest research reports and determine policy implications, and helps to promote the research to media. (10%)
- Works with Association Communication to develop issue-specific tools for the media and promote topics of interest to AAA with the media. (10%)
- Responds to club inquiries. (10%)
- Establishes and maintains contacts with state legislative and industry groups. (10%)
- Represents Association views at industry meetings. (5%)
- Bachelor’s degree and seven (7) years experience in state government relations with trade association or state government
- Knowledge of state government practices/processes
- Knowledge of traffic safety and vehicle technology issues a plus
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Basic skills in standard PC applications
- Excellent public speaking/presentation skills
To apply: http://chk.tbe.taleo.net/chk05/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=AMERAUTO&cws=1&rid=410
Job Posted: January 23, 2017