• Public Policy Advocacy: Serve as The Hartford’s chief advocate on issues before the Congress and the Executive Branch.
• Relationship Management and Development: Maintain and build strong relationships with Executive Branch officials and key members of Congress and their staffs, with a particular emphasis on the Connecticut delegation and legislators from districts or states where The Hartford has a large business presence.
• Issue Management and Execution: Identify issues with a potential impact on The Hartford. Develop strategies and policy positions to affect the outcome of issues. Management of issues will include working with business leaders and executive management within The Hartford to develop policy and strategy. It will also include coordination with external partners to build robust coalitions. Successful execution of public policy opportunities and challenges will require a keen understanding of The Hartford’s business and our objectives. When appropriate, the engagement of Hartford’s senior leadership with public officials is expected.
• External Resource Leadership: Work closely with our member trade associations, consultants, and like-minded partners to develop policy and strategy to promote Hartford’s goals. Dedicated leadership, support, and vision with all external partners will be expected. The position requires a rigorous and periodic evaluation and recommendation of The Hartford’s external resource needs.
• Political Involvement and Marketing: A high level of dedication to supporting of The Hartford’s political action committee (PAC) and prudent management of its federal goals. Commitment to regular issue and political updates to PAC members and all employees as well as travel and promotion of the public policy agenda at Hartford business sites around the country. Innovative marketing and communication to Hartford employees about the importance of public policy and our public policy goals.
• Federal Affairs Management: Manage federal affairs function, including the Washington D.C. office and exercise oversight of the PAC. The D.C. office currently includes a Director, Federal Affairs. A Manager, Government Affairs has direct responsibility for the PAC.
• Public Affairs: Assist in managing The Hartford’s reputation from a government relations perspective. Work with corporate communications and the business lines to promote the company’s involvement in the community and extensive philanthropic commitment.
• Internal and External Partnerships: Develop strong relationships within the Government Affairs Group. Consistent internal communication to government affairs colleagues, Hartford business colleagues, and executive management on issues and events directly affecting The Hartford and indirect events and issues within the corporate and political community. Seek out industry and non-industry partners to work with Hartford on our public policy agenda.
• Communications: Responsible for preparing communications for executive management and key business leaders on pending public policy issues and political events. Participate in preparation of briefing materials for senior management for trade meetings and Capitol Hill or Administration meetings.
• A minimum of ten years government affairs experience; ideally in a combination of related positions including Washington representative for a company or trade association, congressional staff, or in a public policy position within an Administration.
• A Bachelor’s degree required; relevant advanced degree preferred.
• Demonstrated understanding of the legislative process, including the roles and decision making processes of the Executive Branch, U.S. Senate and U.S. House of Representatives.
• Prior experience working with members of Congress and their staffs.
• Proven record of advancing important issues through the legislative process and resolving them.
• Exceptional leadership skills with the ability to identify an issue, determine the impact on the company, and build a strategic plan for a successful outcome.
• Prior experience supervising and mentoring a staff as well as managing external partners such as trade associations and consultants.
• Strong strategic thinking skills with the ability to develop a vision of where The Hartford should go; can manage priority issues and maintain focus; can anticipate emerging issues; ability to study and master complicated issues and make strategic decisions. Ability to work in and be part of an action oriented Government Affairs organization and demonstrated ability and commitment to mentor and develop talent.
• Ability to build/manage successful relationships and work comfortably and effectively with top government officials on either side of the political spectrum, with senior management of the company and other external relationships.
• Excellent communications and presentation skills both oral and written.
• Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to prioritize while juggling many tasks.
• A reputation for ethical conduct and commitment to ethical behavior.
• Uses resources intelligently, with sensitivity to expense management.
Job Posted: March 14, 2017