ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY
ONE is looking for a Policy Manager to generate lead thinking on our policy agenda, with a particular emphasis on agricultural development, nutrition, and access to energy with a particular focus on the needs of fragile and conflict affected states. The Policy Manager will provide policy analysis across the suite of issues faced by fragile states in agricultural development, trade barriers, economic growth, health, security, and transparency in development investments. Additionally, he/she will explore opportunities to build ONE’s expertise in responsible private sector cooperation in development across all sectors.
The ideal candidate will be an outstanding analyst and communicator; with a first-rate understanding of global development issues, and the ability to critically analyze academic papers on development and trade and investment. He/she will be able to use quantitative and qualitative skills to produce concise briefings that distill complex policy into compelling material that our colleagues across the organization can use to successfully advocate and campaign for policy change. Most importantly, he or she will have huge drive and determination to help ONE to play its part in eliminating extreme poverty in Africa, across all of ONE’s areas of focus.
The Policy Manager will report to the Policy Director for Agriculture and Inclusive Growth, joining a team of other policy managers and officers and working closely with others on the entire Global Policy Team and other teams at ONE.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL:
- Generate lead thinking on agricultural development, nutrition and energy with a particular focus on fragile states.
- Work with our global offices to identify key policy and advocacy opportunities and coordinate policy guidance on driving ONE’s core priorities.
- Undertake research and policy analysis, sometimes at short notice, that is focused on winning arguments to effect change and that can be used by colleagues across the organization.
- Prepare documents on key policy issues – for ONE’s website, for blog posts, for talking points, and for briefings for senior policymakers and principals.
- Represent ONE in external meetings related to his/her portfolio, including high-level meetings as appropriate.
- Build and maintain positive and productive relationships with key stakeholders.
- Work closely with colleagues in the Global Policy team to ensure all of ONE’s other policy issues are reflected in our work.
- Work with ONE’s communications, advocacy and campaigns teams to deliver organization-wide activities.
- Work on any one of ONE’s issue areas depending on the needs of the team and the wider organization.
- Supervise and mentor interns, as appropriate.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by supervisor or the designee.
WHAT WE NEED FROM YOU
- Postgraduate degree required, preferably in an economic development-related field; particular expertise in trade and investment is a plus.
- Five years’ experience of working in a policy development role, within the international development sector, including developing and communicating policy.
- Outstanding research, writing and analytical skills, including the ability to manage and analyze datasets and synthesize complex data analysis and policy issues into digestible briefings communicable to non-specialist audiences.
- Demonstrable understanding of the links between advocacy, policy-making, legislation, and implementation of programs.
- Excellent communications skills, with experience of influencing stakeholders and establishing and maintaining strong partnerships.
- A global outlook with the ability to work within a global team.
- Ability to respond flexibly to opportunities and requests, at times with little notice.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment and strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Flexible, resourceful, adaptable and innovative, with a can-do attitude
- An ability to manage competing priorities and to work on a broad range of policy issues in a rapidly changing environment.
- A self-starter, able to work independently, address any issues proactively, and focus on solution.
- Fluent English essential; French and German desirable; other languages a plus.
- A commitment to ONE’s aims, and embodying ONE’s values of justice, creativity, humility, accountability, integrity, and respect in all of their work and interactions with colleagues.
If you are ready to join the fight against extreme poverty & preventable disease, please submit an application, resume and a cover letter on our jobs page. Applications that don’t include a cover letter may not be considered. This is a rolling recruitment. We will conclude the process when the job has been filled. No phone calls please. We thank all candidates for their interest; however we are only able to contact those who we decide to interview.
Only candidates eligible to work in the US or the EU without restriction need apply.
Job Posted: January 23, 2017