You’re exceptional? We’re hiring!
TechCongress is building 21st century government with technology talent through our Congressional Innovation Fellowship. We are a 24 month old non-profit startup incubated at the Open Technology Institute at New America. Our mission is to bridge the divide between Congress and the technology sector by placing technologists to work with Members of Congress and Congressional Committees in order to build capacity in Congress, train cross-sector leaders— who can understand the challenges of government and in the technology community— and keep Congress up-to-date about the latest challenges and opportunities relating to technology.
We are looking for a collaborative problem-solver as our second hire to help us build and grow the program!
This is an exciting role at the intersection of tech, policy and politics focused on bridging the government and technology sectors. This position is located in Washington, D.C.
As the TechCongress Program Manager you will:
- Have primary responsibility for supporting the Congressional Innovation Fellows and their activities in Congress, including organizing events and meetings and running our mentorship program.
- Lead our DC relationships by conducting interviews with Congressional staff and others to help improve the program.
- Contribute to all of our communications platforms, including the TechCongress blog, newsletter, social media and contribute as desired to New America communication platforms.
- Support all activities of TechCongress, including our recruitment, selections, ongoing programming, fundraising and administrative needs.
- Help us continue to build the core fellowship and test new models and ideas for growth, including training programs for Congressional staff.
- Participate in the TechCongress training or development programs (including accelerator programs).
What we’re looking for in you:
- Three – five years experience working on or with Capitol Hill or an Executive Branch technology team (including OSTP, the US Digital Service, 18F, the Technology Transformation Service or Presidential Innovation Fellows).
- A bachelor’s degree.
- Demonstrated ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds with unique skillsets.
- A willingness to try new things, and not be afraid of failure, and bring a creative and entrepreneurial energy to the job.
- A great communicator with strong interpersonal, writing and editing skills and ability to thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
- Committed to modernizing our legislative branch by helping Members of Congress and Congressional staff.
- Knowledge of technology policy issues.
- Technical ability or familiarity with technology not required but a big plus.
Within 1 month, you will…
- Meet regularly with the 2017 fellows and staff in Congress.
Within 3 months, you will…
- Manage our outreach in Washington DC, meeting with think tanks, tech companies, academics, agency officials and prospective fellows.
- Convene at least one big event for our 2017 fellows.
Within 6 months, you will…
- Help select our 2018 class of Congressional Innovation Fellows!
- Lead the day-to-day work of fellowship activities in DC.
Within 12 months, you will…
- Help us launch an entirely new initiative- that you helped conceive and build from the ground up.
Salary between $70,000 and $80,000 annually, commensurate with experience.
Job Posted: April 19, 2017