New Hyde Park, NY
This Regional Director-Government Relations role will develop and impact our political strategy for our Northeastern Regional Operations and ensures political activities approved by management are pursued accordingly. Ideally, you will be located in the Northeastern part of the country and operate out of your home or one of our regional/district offices. This important role will include up to 30% business travel or more based on business needs.
- Develops political strategy for geographic area of responsibility.
- Engages in political activity as approved by management.
- Communicates with contract lobbyists, associations of which Walgreens is a member, elected officials and their staff members, interest groups and state agencies to convey the company positions on issues.
- Tracks, monitors, and acts on pending and enacted legislation and governmental activities based on input from appropriate internal departments, business units, lobbyists and associations.
- Proactively identifies and communicates legislative issues and trends that impact the company including
- preparing memoranda and briefing materials.
- Proactively identifies and communicates legislative issues to external parties similarly situated in order to build coalitions; monitoring hearings; developing grassroots plans for outreach, externally and internally, including drafting messaging, monitoring results and modifying plans as needed.
- Coordinates activity to ensure that issues are communicated quickly and accurately to appropriate internal personnel and external lobbyists/legislators/interested parties.
Walgreens, one of the nation’s largest drugstore chains, is included in the Retail Pharmacy USA Division of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc., the first global pharmacy-led, health and wellbeing enterprise. More than 10 million customers interact with Walgreens each day in communities across America, using the most convenient, multichannel access to consumer goods and services and trusted, cost-effective pharmacy, health and wellness services and advice. Walgreens operates 8,175 drugstores with a presence in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Walgreens omnichannel business includes Walgreens.com and VisionDirect.com. Approximately 400 Walgreens stores offer Healthcare Clinic or other provider retail clinic services.
As the neighborhood drugstore and retailer, our goal is to make health and happiness simpler, easier and within reach. And we remain a trusted wellness provider offering convenient access to important health services, such as immunizations and an array of pharmacy services that can help patients improve their health. To our team members, Walgreens represents a unique opportunity to excel in their careers in a welcoming and inclusive environment. We offer the chance to work in a truly supportive environment, and be a part of a progressive organization dedicated to the well-being of our customers, team members and the communities we all call home.
- Bachelor’s Degree and at least 5 years of experience in state government as legislative/executive staff.
- Knowledge of the state legislative processes.
- Experience using time management skills such as prioritizing/organizing and tracking details and meeting deadlines of multiple projects with varying completion dates.
- Willing to travel at least 30% of the time for business purposes (within the United States and Puerto Rico).
- Master’s Degree / MBA
- Appropriations and Healthcare Committee experience.
- Knowledge of pharmacy issues, Medicaid and healthcare.
- Experience working in corporate government affairs or an association with a focus on health, retail, or pharmacy.
Employment type Full-time
Job Posted: April 18, 2017