The position of Regional Government Relations Manager must be capable of understanding the substantive policy issues associated with the quick service industry, particularly as it relates to labor issues, food safety, health care, taxes, wages, and other business drivers. The individual will be required to develop and implement an aggressive strategic plan for successfully achieving specific government relations results that are favorable to the interests of the McDonald’s system. The individual will have excellent oral and written communication skills, be a strategic thinker, and serve as an ambassador for the McDonald’s Brand.
In formulating and implementing a successful regional government relations program for McDonald’s, the individual must manage and oversee numerous jurisdictions with multiple legislative consultants and trade associations. He/she will work effectively with members of the Government Relations team, other corporate departments, owner-operators, senior management and regional management. The candidate will also have to form coalitions, help run initiatives, and directly lobby key political leaders. The successful candidate will possess significant political acumen and have established state and local government relations expertise and strategic planning capabilities. Strong writing skills are essential, as this position requires communication to a variety of audiences.
- Develop strategies on regulatory and legislative issues impacting the McDonald’s system in state and local governments.
- Advocate and manage third party groups to best address system priorities.
- Establish and maintain a sophisticated state and local political contact network.
- Be a proactive strategic agent on behalf of McDonald’s and help set the agenda, form the agenda and shape future events.
- Manage legislative consultants.
- Maintain and advocate for McDonald’s in associations in numerous jurisdictions.
- Partner with regional staff to amplify government relations efforts initiatives.
- Direct field activities when grassroots action is necessary to influence legislation.
- Develop and maintain communication pathways with operator leadership, regional leadership, and senior management, advising them on all matters relating to local legislation and public policy issues of interest.
- Work closely with federal affairs staff and provide information, advice and perspective concerning state and local government leadership, policies and activities.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Political Science, or related area
- 5+ years of experience in state and local government affairs
- Campaign, lobbying and government experience preferred
- Familiarity with industry preferred
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills are imperative
- Must enjoy working in a fast-paced, multi-tasking, deadline-oriented dynamic environment with constant change
- Detail-oriented, self-starter and good team player
- Creative thinker solid experience in concept to execution of new ideas
- Solution oriented problem solver
- Networking and relationship-building skills
- Ability to influence others outside direct line of control, management
- High level of strategic focus, planning, perspective
- Excellent writing and presentation skills
- Customer service oriented
Job Posted: February 26, 2017