Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) is seeking a Regional Senior Director for its State Advocacy team. The Regional Senior Director is responsible for developing and implementing state legislative strategies in support of PhRMA’s priorities in Alaska, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Oregon and Washington.
The individual will report to the Deputy Vice President of State Advocacy and will work closely with colleagues across PhRMA and within PhRMA’s member companies to manage and execute the regional/state policy agendas.
The Regional Senior Director, State Advocacy, will:
- Create and implement regional and state-based strategies in collaboration with key PhRMA counsel/colleagues and member company state task force leadership to address legislative and regulatory objectives in assigned states;
- Manage the performance of legislative consultants within the region to achieve PhRMA’s objectives;
- Review legislation and regulations, develop and deliver policy statements, talking points and testimony. Coordinate with and advise PhRMA colleagues and member company state task forces accordingly on such legislation and regulation;
- Represent PhRMA at various public meetings, legislative hearings and regulatory agency meetings;
- Develop and maintain relationships with key political leaders, state officials and staff;
- Build relationships and attend meetings/events with organizations and associations aligned with PhRMA’s policy and regulatory interests;
- Manage the operations of a physical PhRMA office including the management/career development of a part-time regional assistant and overseeing all operational aspects of the office including the developing the annual budget, periodic forecasting of actual costs, managing consultant contracts, office lease, equipment, etc.
Key Success Factors
PhRMA seeks a collaborative, proactive, self-starter who is passionate about access to medicines and contributing to the healthcare challenges we face today. Key success factors for this role include strong interpersonal skills and extensive knowledge of the workings of state governments. The successful candidate should be independent, adaptable, be able to reprioritize and shift gears quickly and be comfortable in a high-pressure environment. Excellent communication and public speaking skills are essential.
Professional Experience / Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree;
- 5 – 8 years of experience working in public policy or health-related field with an emphasis on health policy including Medicaid;
- Experience working in state government/legislature and strong understanding of the state legislative process;
- Must understand public policy issues and budgets, how to analyze them and how health policy and budgets are developed;
- Office location is Olympia, Washington;
- Frequent domestic travel.
Preferred Attributes / Experience
- Master’s degree in government and/or political affairs;
- Experience working in a national trade association;
- Pharmaceutical industry experience;
- Political campaign experience.
Who we are
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) represents the country’s leading innovative biopharmaceutical research companies, which are devoted to discovering and developing medicines that enable patients to live longer, healthier and more productive lives. Since 2000, PhRMA member companies have invested more than half a trillion dollars in the search for new treatments and cures, including an estimated $58.8 billion in 2015 alone.
What we offer
In addition to a highly competitive salary, generous 401(k) employer contribution and a platform of extensive benefits, PhRMA is committed to the development and overall wellbeing of our team members. We offer traditional (medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, life, AD&D, LTD, STD, LTC) and enhanced benefits such as parental leave, health advocate service, back-up childcare, commuting and financial & estate planning benefits.
Certified as a CEO Cancer Gold Standard employer by the CEO Roundtable and having been named one of Washington’s Healthiest Employers, PhRMA provides a fitness subsidy, on-site fitness facility and fitness classes, an annual health fair and extensive employee wellness seminars, events and challenges.
We are committed to the growth and development of our team members and offer many learning opportunities such as tuition reimbursement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, industry on-site and off-site training, PhRMAcademy lunch and learn sessions, presentation skills, performance management and other management/professional develop programs. Corporate social responsibility is also important to us at PhRMA. Our team members participate in organization-wide community service activities and charitable athletic events.
We are committed to supporting our family of professionals at PhRMA and strive to create programs that help our team members manage the challenges of balancing a fast-paced career with their own personal goals.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PhRMA provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.
Send resume, cover letter and salary requirement to The HR Team job portal for consideration at: http://bit.ly/PHRMA-SRSD-NW
Job Posted: March 25, 2017