CFED is a leading national economic nonprofit working with diverse partners at the national, state and local level to create economic opportunity that alleviates poverty. CFED works to ensure that every American can participate in, contribute to, and benefit from the economy by bringing together community practice, public policy, and private markets in new and effective ways. We design and implement initiatives that transform markets and local communities; facilitate idea exchange through national and regional convenings; and spearhead public policy change linked to disciplined research and grassroots experience of effective practice.
We seek a Senior Advocacy Manager in our Washington, DC office to support the Federal Policy team and the policy work of CFED to defend and expand savings and asset-building opportunities for low- and moderate-income households. The Senior Advocacy Manager will help oversee CFED’s four federal policy campaigns on tax reform, consumer protections, affordable homeownership, and safety net programs. Also, help develop and implement campaigns strategies, lead related communications, organize network members and supporters, and assist with the management of other important stakeholders and coalitions.
Our successful candidate will thrive on open collaboration, intellectual curiosity, an energetic, entrepreneurial approach to challenges, an upbeat, collegial environment, and hard work and drive toward fulfilling CFED’s mission of expanding economic opportunity for all Americans.
- Coordinate and oversee the work of CFED’s four federal campaigns focused on consumer protection, tax reform, affordable homeownership, and safety net programs.
- Manage relationships and working groups with advocates in the field, grassroots supporters for the campaigns, and national partner organizations.
- Manage and engage in the building and maintenance of coalitions to develop policy, share ideas, and collaborate in furthering political action and advocacy.
- Help develop and implement strategies for each of the campaigns and work with other team members to ensure their success and development.
- Inform and develop diverse forms of communications deliverables and materials for the campaigns, including digital communications.
- Develop external stakeholders and leaders in the field to assist with the work and goals of the campaigns.
- Write and edit a variety of different types of publications such as policy briefs, white papers, blogs, action alerts, and op-eds.
- Educate members of Congress on savings and asset-building issues and their impact on low- and moderate-income households.
- Build and maintain effective relationships with Hill staff, state and local advocates, national coalition partners, administration officials, and other external parties as needed.
- Help plan policy events related to salient tax, savings, and asset building policy issues on Capitol Hill and within the larger DC policy and advocacy community.
- Conduct research and policy development when needed on a variety of different policy topics related to savings, wealth building, tax policy, and other issues.
- Engage with media outlets and reporters through interviews or other means.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Masters degree in public policy, public affairs, economics, political science or related area, or juris doctorate (JD).
- Three to six (3-6) years of experience in policy analysis and communications, federal advocacy, political or advocacy campaigns, media, grassroots organizing work.
- Experience developing, implementing, and leading complex policy advocacy strategies, preferably at the federal level.
- Strong writing and editing experience with the ability to quickly and accurately translate dense technical information for a variety of audiences, particularly policy makers and state-based advocates.
- Advanced project management skills, with the ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously and oversee the project management work of junior employees.
- Ability to effectively lead and work in coalitions and teams, both within CFED and across multiple external organizations and networks.
- Strong ability and experience working with diverse groups of grassroots leaders in the field and working on expanding their capabilities and developing them over time.
- Excellent oral communication and presentation skills, in both small and large group formats.
- Ability to communicate well interpersonally using tact and diplomacy to effectively manage relationships.
- Knowledge and experience in the federal policymaking process, particularly related to Capitol Hill.
- Policy research, analysis, and development skills and experience, preferably related to economics.
- Experience in one of more of CFED’s areas of focus, such as emergency savings, tax policy, asset-building, consumer protection, retirement savings, entrepreneurship, affordable homeownership or financial capability, preferred.
- Commitment to pursuing policy change that positively affects the financial well-being of low and moderate income households.
CFED is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that diversity of background and perspective are strengths, and seek to continue to grow a diverse, highly committed, skilled, and collaborative staff. We encourage candidates from various backgrounds to apply.
Job Posted: January 28, 2017