HCM Strategists, a public policy and advocacy consulting firm known nationally for its leadership in health and medical research advocacy and education policy, seeks a creative and innovative strategic thinker with a “roll-up your sleeves” approach to join our health team as a Senior Associate. A successful candidate will have experience in helping develop and execute advocacy programs that include direct lobbying, policy analysis, grassroots/grasstops engagement, and social media.
The HCM health team places patients at the center of our work. Our clients include: patient advocacy organizations, industry, foundations, hospital systems, and the National Institutes of Health.
The Senior Associate will serve as a key member of our client teams supporting and managing a variety of work streams and overseeing client deliverables. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Interacting with Capitol Hill and Federal Agency staff and preparation of materials for those interactions.
- Assisting in the development of strategies to advance client priorities.
- Performing research and analysis and presenting those findings internally as well as to clients.
- Facilitating meeting logistics including agendas and notes
- Contributing to the knowledge base of current health policies, legislation, practices and trends.
- Translating policy concepts into common language accurately, clearly and within a short timeframe for various audiences (e.g. patients, organizational leadership, etc.)
- Project management, including drafting and maintaining project timelines; assisting with meeting, workshop and convening agenda development, scheduling and logistics; and participating in and taking notes/minutes of team and client calls and meetings as needed.
- Researching, drafting, and copy-editing memos, briefs, reports, action alerts, presentations, newsletters and other client deliverables.
- Assisting in business development through support of senior staff in idea creation, problem/strategy/solution formulation, presentations and client pitches and business climate assessment.
- Building and maintaining relationships with key points of contact in the field (e.g., state-level leaders and their staff and policy partners, federal agency and congressional staff, public policy and advocacy professionals).
- Utilizing social media platforms for digital advocacy campaigns.
Requirements and Key Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree (Master’s Degree a plus) from an accredited college or university
- 7+ years of equivalent experience
- Motivated and deadline driven, ability to work as part of a team, self-starter with ability to deliver high-quality work products with limited oversight
- Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Problem solver
- Familiarity with healthcare policy and medical research
- Knowledge of legislative process and experience working with Congress and/or federal agencies
- Relationships in Congress and/or within the health advocacy and policy community
- Detail- and results-oriented, possessing solid project management skills, ability to hold project team members accountable to deadlines and ability to track and work across multiple projects
- Strong interpersonal skills, an enthusiastic attitude and enjoys a team-based culture
- Collaborative, collegial, open and grounded in integrity
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills
- Ability to dynamically prioritize and adjust to change and business growth with a client-focused orientation.
About HCM Strategists
HCM is a public policy and advocacy consulting firm known nationally for its leadership in health and medical research policy development, analysis, and advocacy. HCM puts the patient at the center of our work. Our team of professionals has a deep reach into the major healthcare sectors important to efforts to reform the medical research and healthcare system and provide better access and care delivery to patients.
We represent and work with patient and disease organizations, industry, philanthropists, hospital systems, and federal agencies such as the National Institutes of Health and the Food and Drug Administration. We have a long record of success in Washington based upon our ability to leverage our comprehensive network, forge creative alliances with non-traditional partners, and provide leadership and vision to our efforts on behalf of our clients.
Equal Opportunity Statement
HCM Strategists is an equal opportunity employer affording all employees and job applicants’ fair and equal treatment. HCM complies with the letter and spirit of all applicable federal, state, and local laws prohibiting employment discrimination, including discrimination based on race, age, color, gender, religion, national origin, marital status, family responsibilities, sexual orientation, veteran status, and disabilities.
Please send a cover letter and resume to:
Job Posted: February 6, 2017