Crystal City, VA
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents, and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
Battelle is seeking a Senior Congressional Affairs Specialist located in Washington, DC. This position will support the development and execution of the appropriate congressional education, outreach, and advocacy strategies and messaging to advance Battelle’s budget, policy, and legislative priorities in national security, homeland security, health and life sciences, and intelligence.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Analyzing federal budgets, federal legislation and congressional or administration actions and understanding and communicating impacts in coordination with the Battelle government relations team to senior Contract Research business leaders as well as congressional stakeholders.
- Collaborating with senior Contract Research business leaders to identify and communicate Contract Research budget, legislative, and policy priorities to congressional stakeholders;
- Developing and executing congressional education, outreach, and advocacy strategies in support of Contract Research business unit priorities;
- Building and maintaining relationships with members of Congress and congressional and committee staff important to Battelle’s mission and priorities;
- Facilitating meetings between senior Contract Research business leaders and congressional stakeholders, and visits to Battelle facilities and laboratories by members of Congress and congressional and committee staff;
- Identifying or creating opportunities to highlight to congressional stakeholders Battelle contributions to the successful execution of targeted federal agency missions.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of eight years of relevant experience working for a Member of Congress, congressional committee, lobbying firm, trade association, government contractor, or some combination thereof, or in some other federal government relations capacity.
- Understanding of the budget and appropriations process and the legislative process, and demonstrated experience leveraging these processes to achieve legislative goals.
- Knowledge of political and policy issues pertaining to national security, health and life sciences, and intelligence.
- Established relationships with key congressional and federal stakeholders important to Battelle, including but not limited to DOD and HHS, and key committee members and staff with jurisdiction over authorizations or appropriations for national security, health and life sciences, and intelligence.
- Proven ability to understand, translate, and communicate complex concepts, especially S&T and R&D concepts, DOD acquisition and technology development processes, and policy and budget impacts to generate understanding and support among non-technical stakeholders for Contract Research projects, proposals, and activities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and engaging interpersonal skills.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Established relationships with the Ohio congressional delegation.
- Active security clearance at the TS level or higher.
- A Master’s or technical degree.
- Experience handling science and technology (S&T) or research and development (R&D) budget, policy and legislative issues.
- Some knowledge and insight into political and policy issues pertaining to transportation, environment, or law enforcement, and relationships with related congressional and federal stakeholders.
- Experience working with a team of consultants.
- Experience developing issue papers and supporting briefs for advocacy of major acquisition, S&T or R&D programs.
- Some combination of congressional or federal service and experience working in the private sector.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle provides employment and opportunities for advancement, compensation, training, and growth according to individual merit, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, genetic information, or disability. Our goal is for each staff member to have the opportunity to grow to the limits of their abilities and to achieve personal and organizational objectives. We will support positive programs for equal treatment of all staff and full utilization of all qualified employees at all levels within Battelle.
For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers
Job Posted: February 20, 2017