Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) is seeking a strong and influential team player for its Federal Advocacy team with excellent relationship building and communication skills for a Senior Director position.
The Senior Director is responsible for leading strategy development and maintaining relationships while building support for PhRMA priorities, policies and positions. The Senior Director will focus primarily on lobbying members of the United States Congress, specifically House Democrats and their staff, on issues of importance to patients and the pharmaceutical industry.
The Senior Director will:
- Lobby House Democratic members and their staff on potential/proposed legislation and the impact of such legislation to patients and the pharmaceutical industry.
- Coordinate with PhRMA colleagues and member company staff on policy positions and the development of legislative strategy related to intellectual property and trade, budget and appropriations and matters involving the Ways and Means and Oversight and Government Reform Committees.
- Represent the Federal Advocacy team at internal PhRMA meetings and collaborate across departments on policy, engagement strategy and messaging materials, coordinating the advocacy as appropriate with member company colleagues.
- Anticipate, track and analyze legislation relevant to industry priorities, involving PhRMA staff and member company representatives as needed.
- Develop and manage member company and federal policymaker relationships and manage consultants contracted to further advocacy efforts.
We are seeking a strong advocate for the pharmaceutical industry who is passionate about the healthcare challenges we face today. This Senior Director role is highly visible and requires substantive engagement with members of Congress, member company representatives, and all levels of PhRMA staff. Critical to this position is the ability to easily build relationships and support, communicate in a respectful and influential manner, and work both independently and as a committed team player. The successful candidate will be a well-regarded, self-starter with a reputation for integrity and results.
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Government Relations, Public Policy, or other related field of study;
- 5-7 years of direct experience working with or for the Congress and/or Federal Advocacy work;
- Understanding of procedures, protocols of standing committees regarding witnesses, testimony and Congressional activities, working knowledge of the Congressional process and ethics rules and regulations;
- Strong relationship building skills, integrity and reputation; easily builds a rapport and can persuade others
- Strategically anticipates potential future federal advocacy issues;
- Strong verbal and written communication skills;
- Demonstrated collaborator and team player.
Who we are
The Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) represents the country’s leading innovative biopharmaceutical research companies, which are devoted to discovering and developing medicines that enable patients to live longer, healthier and more productive lives. Since 2000, PhRMA member companies have invested more than half a trillion dollars in the search for new treatments and cures, including an estimated $58.8 billion in 2015 alone.
What we offer
In addition to a highly competitive salary, generous 401(k) employer contribution and a platform of extensive benefits, PhRMA is committed to the development and overall wellbeing of our team members. We offer traditional (medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, life, AD&D, LTD, STD, LTC) and enhanced benefits such as parental leave, health advocate service, back-up childcare, commuting and financial & estate planning benefits.
Certified as a CEO Cancer Gold Standard employer by the CEO Roundtable and having been named one of Washington’s Healthiest Employers, PhRMA provides a fitness subsidy, on-site fitness facility and fitness classes, an annual health fair and extensive employee wellness seminars, events and challenges.
We are committed to the growth and development of our team members and offer many learning opportunities such as tuition reimbursement at both the undergraduate and graduate levels, industry on-site and off-site training, PhRMAcademy lunch and learn sessions, presentation skills, performance management and other management/professional develop programs. Corporate social responsibility is also important to us at PhRMA. Our team members participate in organization-wide community service activities and charitable athletic events.
We are committed to supporting our family of professionals at PhRMA and strive to create programs that help our team members manage the challenges of balancing a fast-paced career with their own personal goals.
Equal Opportunity Employer
PhRMA provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation or veteran status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment.
Send resume, cover letter and salary requirement for consideration to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Posted: March 25, 2017