The Senior Government Relations Manager will be an engaged personal advocate and business leader responsible for executing government relations and regulatory support to the US Life Insurance Division. Senior Government Relations Manager will report directly to the Director, Government and Industry Relations for Genworth’s US Life Insurance Business.
A successful candidate will:
- Regularly interact and develop strong relationships with state insurance commissioners, Governors and Governors’ senior staff, legislators, industry peers and other stakeholders; coordinate / facilitate interaction between those stakeholders and internal Genworth teams;
- Be able to engage effectively with internal stakeholders, including senior leaders, and understand and participate in the formation of business plans;
- Be a strong personal advocate and skilled public communicator;
- As a fully engaged part of a team, develop, execute and report on government relations plans that advance Genworth business strategies;
- Identify key internal and external stakeholders on relevant issues and formulate relationship, communication and advocacy strategies;
- Provide advice and counsel to business teams regarding product filings, in-force filings (and other regulatory submissions), including LTCi rate actions and the existing and proposed laws and regulations governing such filings.
- Prepare and conduct training and education, formal and informal (including preparation of materials), for policymakers, regulators and other stakeholders; and
- Possess and model the Genworth values of heart, and integrity, and excellence, as well as leadership competence in the following areas: collaboration, communication, customer focus, leadership and influence, results-orientation.
- Minimum of 10-15 years in a legal or government relations position with particular emphasis on regulatory affairs and policymaking within highly regulated industries;
- Strong insurance product experience;
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time;
- Ability to collaboratively develop strategies with the business, while providing guidance on government relations aspects of those strategies;
- Demonstrated ability to work with a wide range of stakeholders, including senior executives, regulators, legislators and other elected and appointed public officials;
- Proven track record of personal advocacy and relationship building;
- Bachelors Degree;
- Verbal and written communication skills that demonstrate the ability to influence people, build relationships and communicate key issues and strategy; and
- Ability to work effectively in a culturally diverse work group.
- Juris Doctorate and/or MBA degree;
- Prior experience with Long Term Care Insurance, and in particular interacting with regulators with respect to LTCi rate actions;
- Knowledge of Medicare / Medicaid; and / or experience developing provider networks; and
- Experience in State government, particularly as an insurance regulator or with a Legislative or Executive branch in a policymaking role.
Job Posted: March 12, 2017