Identifies and analyzes proposed legislative initiatives, regulations, and significant federal, state, or industry proposed initiatives which present significant implications to BCBS Plans’ managed care and fee-for-service business operations related to quality of care and delivery system reforms and related issues. Identifies policy questions, evaluates impact on Plan business, advances options and forges consensus on legislative areas, and prepares formal comments regarding recommended policy.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Reviews legislation, legislative proposals, and regulations to identify and evaluate strategic and business issues for Plans related to quality of care and payment and delivery system reforms. Works with the State Services department on state-related initiatives to assure consistency with regard to state and federal policy positions, and with other BCBSA Divisions to assure consistency with regard to BCBSA’s operational and business positions.
- Manages projects within assigned regulatory and legislative areas (both federal and state, and private sector such as accreditation and measure development), including the identification of key business issues, policy and legislative or regulatory analysis, development of comments or other persuasive materials, and development of educational materials for Plans.
- Formulates strategies on an issue by issue basis, assuring positions represent consensus of Plans. Communicates and interprets the implications and effects to Plans. Maintains a thorough and comprehensive understanding of Plan business interests/practices to effectively assess the effect of legislation/regulations on them.
- Prepares and implements research agenda for issue areas.
Required Basic Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science, Economics, Public Administration, or related field.
- Minimum of eight years experience in health care policy analysis/formulation, health care law, state insurance regulations and/or healthcare plan operations, with experience in quality of care and health care payment and delivery issues.
Preferred Basic Qualifications:
- J.D. or Master’s Degree in public policy, health policy, or related field.
- Extensive knowledge of managed care and insurance reform issues, operations and policy, as well as knowledge of the federal legislative and regulatory process.
- Prior experience in communicating and writing comments to Congress, government agencies and/or other legislative bodies
- Ability to structure research policy studies and formulate policy alternatives
- Ability to draw upon extensive knowledge and relationships to identify and analyze issues and develop appropriate policy strategies and responses, demonstrating excellent judgment and analytical methodologies
- Sophisticated/strategic thinking to determine how best to influence decision/policy makers
- Demonstrated ability in setting and meeting objectives, while reacting within a growing and changing internal and external environment
- Superior facilitation, presentation, organizational and verbal and written skills, with the demonstrated ability to work independently
- Analytical, planning and project management skills, as well as the ability to prioritize and shift multiple issues and projects without compromising quality results
Job Posted: April 5, 2017