National Multiple Sclerosis Society
This position is responsible for driving activities outlined in the Society’s strategic plan and integrating advocacy in all areas of local programs and development opportunities. To be effective, this position will need to forge strong relationships with diverse staff including colleagues, volunteers, stakeholders and policy makers.
This position is responsible for developing and building relationships with legislative and regulatory officials throughout assigned states. Also responsible for advocacy communications aimed at activists, the community, partner organizations and public officials. This position requires knowledge and demonstrated experience in government relations, public policy, coalition building and community mobilization.
This position is responsible for overseeing the advocacy work in Colorado and providing advocacy support in Wisconsin and TBD.
1. Advocacy & Policy Responsibilities
* Ensure the most effective implementation of the strategic plans to ensure goals/objectives are met; this requires execution as well as providing insight, strategy and impact
* Implement effective strategies that identify issues and create opportunities to advance policies that impact the lives of people living with MS.
* Monitor and track Society policy interests across assigned states; make the determination when issues should be elevated to priority status
* Oversee the work of the contract lobbyist
* Develop relationships with decision makers and that produce legislative champions
* Broadly communicate Society’s priorities to all necessary audiences, utilizing unified messaging and applicable research and stories.
* Identify and engage in coalitions that support policy agenda
2. Activist Engagement Responsibilities
* Develop plan to Identify, recruit and engage volunteer activists in support of the goals and objectives of the strategic plan
* Leverage Society communications, programs and events to advertise advocacy engagement opportunities.
* Recruit MS Activists that increase the Society’s activism capacity: demographically, political relationships and/or issue expertise.
* Engage MS Activists in their activism role(s) (Grassroots, Advisory Committee, District Activist Leader, Grasstops, etc).
* Lead the state/s Government Relations Advisory Committee/s including policy and volunteer development and coordination with Chair of agenda development
* Provide policy updates to Society market area volunteer committees (Community Engagement, Health Care Advisory) as well as provide opportunities for these volunteers to engage in Society activism
* Ensure MS Activists have opportunities to participate in National MS Society Public Policy Conference, Congressional In-District and/ or MS State Action Day and that extraordinary experience generates year-round engagement.
3. Communications and Data
* Ensure all volunteer engagement information is accurate in all Society technology resources
* Use Society best practices to communicate with MS activists on state/s policy and advocacy progress and engagement
* Ensure that all activists receive regular communication about progress and impact of advocacy work at state level
* Ensure that all policy related information is shared on the Society’s website
Job Posted: February 25, 2017