Mountain View, CA
A great opportunity exists for a senior policy expert to work with a stellar team on cutting edge technology issues.
As a member of X, you will help shape the product and issue agendas affecting the development of UAS with policy makers inside and outside government. You will take a leading role advising X’s UAS team – Project Wing – on the public policy implications of their products, at a state, federal and international level. You will also be expected to lead our engagement with the FAA (and other international aviation regulators) to ensure we have necessary permissions to operate in relevant jurisdictions. The role requires significant experience in the aviation field, either working with or in government, politics or a regulatory agency as well as an ability to grasp complex technical and policy issues.
X is a moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, potentially world-changing new ideas such as self-driving cars, balloon-powered Internet and smart contact lenses are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. We’re a team of makers, entrepreneurs, engineers and scientists with deep technical expertise who love the challenge of the seemingly impossible. X was formerly known as Google[x].
- Work with the policy, legal, and product colleagues in X to understand the regulatory and licensing requirements that our UAS teams will need to fulfill and develop and lead a cross-functional strategy for achieving those permissions.
- Lead our interactions with the FAA and other regulators as needed, including at a state and city level as it pertains to UAS operations in the US and overseas. Communicate policy positions to key constituencies nationally and worldwide, including users; partners and customers; national government officials and agencies; policy advocates and the legal community; journalists, experts and opinion leaders; industry organizations; and other relevant stakeholders.
- Work with the wider X Policy team to develop and implement a public policy strategy for UAS, advocating for the benefits of the technology to policy makers and other key opinion formers in the US and abroad. Work with trade associations, industry partners, non-profit groups and other allies to promote and build support for policy positions associated with UAS.
- Work with the product teams to ensure that they understand best practice methods to retain the necessary licenses and meet regulatory obligations. Educate the product team on how best to structure themselves and their work to meet the licensing requirements they need to fulfill
- Advance the mission of X: defend its values, and create new opportunities to make the world a better place.
- Master’s degree in law, public policy, business or related fields, or equivalent practical experience.
- 10 years of experience working in a policy, strategy, legal, government relations/affairs, or compliance role within a regulatory body, agency or company in aviation
- Experience working in the aviation field at an agency, legislative committee or other regulatory body
- Familiarity with new transportation technologies and the surrounding policy and regulatory environments and an ability to quickly get up to speed on complex technical and regulatory issues.
- Team player with a sense of humor and the ability to exercise good judgment in a rapidly changing and sometimes stressful environment.
- First-rate personal, political, analytical, communications and government relations skills. Proven ability to build strong relationships with both internal and external audiences.
- Ability to integrate public policy with business strategy and corporate development.
- Demonstrable leadership skills and ability to collaborate with motivation and determination. Entrepreneurial drive, demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals in an innovative and fast-paced environment.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
Job Posted: January 23, 2017