This position is not subject to a pre-employment criminal background and/or financial history background check
Under the supervision of the Executive/Senior Vice President, the Vice President of Federal Affairs lobbies and supervises government relations efforts on all federal legislative activities, with emphasis on legislative activities in support of AHIP’s advocacy efforts. This position supervises and participates in AHIP’s tracking, analyzing and lobbying of Congressional activities and related issues.
- Represents AHIP as a Congressional lobbyist. Maintains extensive contacts and develops strong relationships with members of Congress, Congressional staff, and other key organizations to develop support for industry positions. Attends congressional hearings, mark-ups, meetings and events.
- Monitors and analyzes proposed legislation to determine its effects on the industry; determines the most appropriate position in coalition with AHIP’s senior staff and member companies; and develops and implements strategies to achieve favorable results.
- Directs and manages all federal government relations activities.
- Works with the senior staff at AHIP to develop a strategic vision for AHIP for federal legislative activities and assists in development and achievement of AHIP’s goals.
- Oversees and participates in the preparation of testimony, position statements, talking points, written reports, memos and bulletins that are sent to AHIP members.
- Oversees and assists in the processing of members’ questions on technical legislative issues and their requests for related materials.
- Works in conjunction with the Federal Affairs PAC Director to increase participation in the AHIP PAC.
- Performs other tasks as required or assigned.
- This position may require supervision of staff in the federal affairs department.
- Requires the efficient delegation of responsibilities to staff given the multiplicity of issues requiring the incumbent’s attention
- Knowledge of the structure and functioning of the federal government, with emphasis on the legislative branch in terms of its impact on health policy.
- Knowledge of current policy issues affecting the health insurance industry; and understanding of member companies’ business models and corporate goals.
- Knowledge of PAC organization and rules.
- Individual should possess strong leadership, management, advocacy, and organizational skills.
- Relationships with Congressional staff and a developed knowledge and understanding of managed care functions and operations is critical.
- 5-10 years’ experience in the legislative and regulatory environment; experience on Capitol Hill, in the government affairs department of a health-related company, trade association, or health care firm is a plus.
- Experience working with Congress, regulatory agencies, and/or state legislatures at various levels with sensitivity to political considerations.
- Experience working with health plan executive, government affairs staff, and medical staff.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science or related field; Masters preferred.
Physical Work Activities & Conditions:
- Light physical activities and efforts required working in an office environment.
Percent of Travel:
- Up to 20% of time.
The purpose of a job description is to describe the overall function and general responsibilities of a job. Job descriptions are used in hiring and training and to provide employees with a better understanding of employer expectations. Actual job functions and duties will vary as job responsibilities and business needs require.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, disability, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or status as a protected veteran
* * *
Interested candidates must send resume, references and a cover letter that includes salary requirements to: email@example.com or mail to:
America’s Health Insurance Plans (AHIP)
ATTN: HR Dept/FAVP
601 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
South Building, Suite 500
Washington, DC 20004
Job Posted: April 8, 2017