AMERICAN MOVING AND STORAGE ASSOCIATION
POSITION DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
POSITION: Vice President, Government Affairs
REPORTS TO: President & CEO
DEPARTMENT: Government Affairs
The American Moving & Storage Association (AMSA) is the only national trade association for the professional moving and storage industry. The organization dates back to the 1920s and comprises over 3,000 large, medium and small moving companies, including industry suppliers. The moving and storage industry directly generates approximately $31 billion in annual output and provides over 186,722 jobs in America.
The Vice President, Government Affairs is responsible for the development of AMSA’s policy positions, designing and implementing all legislative and regulatory issue advocacy initiatives, the planning and execution of strategic advocacy communications, lobbying members of Congress and the Administration, and serving as Treasurer and managing AMSA’s political action committee (AMPAC).
Responsibilities & Accountabilities:
• Manage and lead the development and implementation of key policy and regulatory initiatives;
• Plan and execute both internal and external strategic communications efforts focused on advancing AMSA’s legislative and regulatory agenda;
• Represent AMSA with congressional and federal policymakers regarding relevant legislative and regulatory issues;
• Represent AMSA in issue alliances and coalitions with external allies and stakeholder groups;
• Monitor legislative and regulatory developments that impact the professional moving and storage industry;
• Serve as staff liaison to the AMSA Government Affairs Committee (33 members) and Legal Advisory Council (19 members);
• Serve as Treasurer of AMPAC and manage day-to-day operations (~$40,000 annual);
• Other duties and related assignments as assigned.
• Bachelor of Arts degree;
• Master’s degree or juris doctorate a plus;
• At least 5-7 years of direct experience on Capitol Hill working for a member of Congress or committee;
• Experience managing multiple and complex issues with a diverse set of stakeholders;
• Experience communicating complex issues in clear and understandable terms;
• Pre-existing relationships with key, relevant congressional staff and/or members of Congress;
• Association experience or experience in transportation, military, labor or tax issues a plus.
• Ability to travel up to 10% of the time;
Please respond with a cover letter including salary requirements and your resume to email@example.com.
Job Posted: March 25, 2017