Ogilvy Public Relations
Ogilvy Washington seeks a senior communications professional to join our award-winning Social Change practice in Washington, D.C. This is an exciting opportunity to work with a network of risk communications, emergency management, issues management, community outreach, and partnership building professionals, to engage a broad array of national and local stakeholders around the issues of disaster preparedness, mitigation and recovery to motivate and support community and individual efforts to protect themselves.
Immediate needs exist on a program in support of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)’s Community Engagement and Risk Communications efforts. This program is extremely dynamic with many moving parts and engaged organizations. This position will provide leadership and strategic direction to apply risk communication and behavior change expertise to reach and move the target audience to address their financial resilience against flood damage—through traditional and social media relations, community engagement, paid media, materials development and dissemination, partnership development, event planning and execution.
This individual will work collaboratively with colleagues in Washington, DC, partner company team members across a range of marketing and engagement disciplines, and Ogilvy colleagues supporting FEMA’s ten regional offices nationwide. Stakeholder audiences include Federal officials, State and local officials, insurance industry partners, community planners, emergency managers, professional groups, businesses, and local residents.
For nearly two decades, Ogilvy Public Relations has been at the forefront of social change—advancing personal and public health and safety through innovative communication initiatives. We have developed numerous social change campaigns to successfully raise awareness, educate and prompt action regarding some of today’s largest and most complex issues, ranging from homeland security to income taxes, emergency preparedness to heart disease, violence prevention to substance abuse—the list is extensive. We take great pride in deploying solutions that improve and save lives.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
* Leading portions of strategic communications and outreach operations of for large FEMA accounts supporting Community Engagement and Risk Communications.
* Providing expertise in the development and coordination of strategic communications plans and content related to community resilience;
* Coordinating and strategizing with the DC-based leadership team and strategic partners on community resilience projects;
* Researching, developing, and managing existing and new partnerships with influencers; consumer organizations, local non-profit and business organizations; and professional organizations;
* Researching and supporting planning and collaboration with Creative and Digital teams in the development of creative assets, which may include video, ad creative, social media, interactive tools, and digital promotions;
* Managing relationships with partners and assisting with the development of tailored programs involving campaign assets and promotional extensions, and;
* Overseeing and preparing a variety of written materials including communication plans, partnership agreements, outreach tools and materials, and reports.
* 10+ years of experience in strategic communications, including developing and managing partnerships, preferably in an agency setting and for a government client.
* Ability to provide a strategic perspective on projects that require an understanding of public policy, emergency management, issues management, natural hazards, and community outreach.
* Demonstrated ability to build coalitions, foster partnerships, and communicate effectively with a broad spectrum of audiences from Federal, State, and local officials to thought leaders, business leaders, and local residents.
* Experience working on watershed, community planning, climate adaptation, engineering, flooding or other natural hazard issues is preferred.
* Insurance Industry and disaster communications and emergency management response experience is preferred.
* Proven ability to prioritize multiple projects, turn around projects quickly, and meet deadlines.
* Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with teams across the nation is essential.
* Excellent written and verbal communications skills are essential.
* Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree a plus.
* Travel to support colleagues and team members in other regions of the country may be required.
* Spanish language skills, and experience in multicultural outreach, primarily Hispanic and tribal, are also a plus but not essential.
How to Apply:
Please include your resume and a cover letter. No phone calls or emails please. Only those candidates selected to interview will be contacted. While we welcome applications from out-of-state candidates, we are unable to provide reimbursement for relocation or travel expenses for this position.
Ogilvy Public Relations is a global, multi-disciplinary communications agency and is one of the top ten marketing communications firms worldwide. We employ over 2,200 people in 85 offices around the world. The strength of our reputation lies in the collective skills and talents of these individuals. Our tradition of providing training and career development for our talent began with our founder and continues today over 60 years later.
Ogilvy Washington is the largest WPP office in the DC area, and has been a market leader here for over 35 years. Our communications professionals specialize in advocacy, association communications, behavior change, branding, content, corporate communications, energy, food, healthcare, international relations, issues and crisis management, public policy, reputation management, social/digital, trade, technology and telecommunications.
Ogilvy PR is a unit of Ogilvy & Mather, a WPP company (NASDAQ: WPPGY). For more information, visit our website at www.ogilvypr.com or follow us on Twitter @ogilvypr.
Job Posted: January 23, 2017