Identify and influence state and Federal legislative and regulatory actions that impact U.S. HealthWorks. Position will act as the overall interface on company legislative and regulatory issues within the states where we operate or plan to operate. Components include direct legislative and regulatory lobbying, contract lobbyist management, political development, third-party alliance development, and grassroots programs. Position plays an integral role in planning, budgeting, and performance of government affairs objectives and reports directly to the General Counsel. Position located in Sacramento, California. Travel to other states required.
Essential Duties And Responsibilities
- Monitor, identify and define state and Federal legislative and regulatory actions that impact U.S. HealthWorks.
- Work with corporate functions and business units to develop and advocate proactive policy positions and execute corrective legislative and regulatory strategies.
- Conduct briefings, meetings, forums and technical updates for legislators and regulators and their staffs on issues of concern to U.S. HealthWorks.
- Maintain critical expertise on enterprise-specific issues, including, but not limited to, workers compensation policy, corporate practice of medicine policy, provider reimbursement, drug dispensing, medical provider networks and state-sponsored workers comp insurance.
- Identify and develop strategic relationships with coalition partners, professional societies, medical associations, thought leaders, trade groups, employer groups and labor groups in key states to provide leadership and focus in areas of mutual interest.
- Plan, budget and direct the firm’s Government Relations function.
- Identify, review and recommend contract lobbyists as needed. Manage the contract lobbyists by identifying main priorities and objectives and evaluating their performance in attainment of objectives.
- Identify key elected officials and conduct political development activities, including site visits, permissible political contributions and other activities.
- Collaborate with corporate and finance operations to ensure compliance with state lobbying and political contribution laws and regulations.
Knowledge, Skills And Abilities
- Extensive experience in the healthcare arena, including worker’s compensation billing
- Prior management of vendor/payor relationships required
- Strong management skills including interpersonal communications and organizational development within the department required.
- Ability to understand billing, collections, coding processes and practices
- Thorough understanding of AS400 environment
- Ability to manage other sites remotely, as necessary
- Knowledge and ability in Excel, Access, Word and PowerPoint
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree (public health, health policy, health service research, political science, business or related discipline).
- 10+ years of state-based government affairs, lobbying, political or public policy experience in the workers compensation, medical, hospital or insurance industries.
- Demonstrated state government affairs experience and legislative relationships in selected states, particularly California.
- Experience managing contract lobbyists.
- Experience in policy analysis, development and advocacy, as well as strategic coalition-building and mobilization.
- Thorough understanding of state legislative process
- Master’s or advanced degree (business, health care administration, public health, public policy or related area).
- Juris Doctor (JD) degree
- Experience in and understanding of workers compensation systems and policies
- Demonstrated ability to build and foster long-term relationships.
Job Posted: January 23, 2017