Social Progress Imperative
The Opportunity & Key Priorities
Generous backing from founding donors has fueled the Social Progress Imperative’s ambitious pursuit of redefining how the world thinks and acts about development, putting social progress at the center of debate, decision-making and action. Following the breakthrough accomplishments of its first four years, the Social Progress Imperative is pursuing efforts to scale its impact globally. To achieve this, the Social Progress Imperative must globalize its communications and marketing activities, seek out new opportunities to convey its voice and value, and support increased demand from its partners.
The Social Progress Imperative seeks a creative, entrepreneurial, outcome-driven professional with exceptional authoring and editing skills. The Writer/Editors will draft the majority of the organization’s written marketing and communications materials. This new position reports to the Global Director, Marketing and Communications and will collaborate regularly with the CEO, senior leaders and spokespeople, researchers and partners, and graphic designers and translators.
Key responsibilities include:
Writing & Editing
- Collect the necessary information to prepare each product via existing resources, interviews, desktop research and other methods.
- Author the majority of the organization’s marketing and communications materials, including newsletters, news releases, editorials, reports and briefs, marketing emails and other materials, advertising, blog posts, toolkit templates, case studies, human interest stories, website content, scripts and donor reports.
- Review and suggest strategic, structural, grammatical and other improvements to content produced by other individuals and teams.
- Proofread and mark-up drafts through collaborative software.
- Negotiate and incorporate suggested changes provided by others.
Collaborating & Managing Projects
- Partner with technical experts and outreach leads to collect requirements, co-develop concepts and drafts, secure the necessary information, and review and adapt materials.
- Co-author materials with other colleagues and partners for joint initiatives, public speaking opportunities and audience-specific outreach.
- Develop and maintain a production timeline for each product and consistently deliver on schedule.
- Coordinate with graphic designers and other communications staff members to support the creative process and smooth work flow.
- Recruit, task and supervise contracted translators for select products.
- Store drafts/final versions throughout the process and regularly update key documents to ensure they are always accessible and current by staff and partners
- Monitor other organizations’ written communications and digital storytelling and suggest ways that Social Progress Imperative can adapt or adopt similar approaches.
This is a unique opportunity for an intellectually curious, self-starter who is passionate about building a fairer, more sustainable world and helping to convey the voice and value of this innovative global initiative. Candidates need the intellectual dynamism and business prowess to be effective in a start-up, entrepreneurial culture, as well as the capacity to understand the Index and its application to real-world decision-making. The strongest applicants also will be excited to work in a flexible, fast-moving, entrepreneurial environment across different countries, cultures and time zones.
Candidates must have a portfolio of published work that demonstrates creativity, clarity, consistency and accuracy as well as mastery of story development and project management. The Writer/Editor also will be expected to demonstrate practical skills, such as structuring information and formatting documents using desktop publishing software. Applicants with graphic design experience will be highly competitive.
A commitment to openness and transparency is a must, which is crucial to Social Progress Imperative’s culture, as is consistent and frequent communication at all levels in the organization. Since the Social Progress Imperative expects to maintain a small staff, the Writer/Editor must bring a combination of strategic thinking and hands-on capabilities. Comfort working across time zones, languages, and cultures is paramount to the success of this role.
- At least three years of related work experience researching, writing and editing on behalf of a public-facing institution or individual.
- A Bachelor’s-level degree (or equivalent) in Journalism, Marketing, Communications, Business or English Literature.
- Fluidity writing between objective, conversational and persuasive styles.
- Strong command of the English language with an advanced vocabulary, spelling and grammar; multilingual candidates are highly desired.
- Advanced interpersonal communication and collaboration skills as well as stellar negotiation and organization talents.
- Demonstrated practical skills, such as structuring information, formatting and marking up text using Microsoft and Google software.
How to apply
The Social Progress Imperative is an equal opportunity employer. We offer competitive compensation and generous benefits, including covering 100% of medical and dental insurance premiums for employees and their dependents and 5% contribution to employees’ 403(b) retirement plans after six months of employment.
Well qualified individuals are encouraged to apply for this position as soon as possible by sending a cover letter expressing your passion for the mission and fit for the role, salary expectations and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Work samples will be requested of finalists as well.
Job Posted: March 12, 2017