Convincing advocates, policymakers and the public to all buy into your organization’s mission is critical to your advocacy campaign. Public affairs and communications professionals can increase engagement and sway supporters by creating influential and persuasive arguments.
Featured Topic & Speakers
In this two-hour workshop, attendees will hear from an expert communicator on how to craft persuasive, powerful and credible arguments.
Refine your persuasive writing skills and get answers to these common questions:
- How can I translate a difficult or complex policy issue into a compelling narrative?
- What improves the chances of an op-ed or opinion piece being published?
- How can I engage my supporters through a strong advocacy email, tweet or Facebook post?
- What are the best practices for writing content that persuades reporters, lawmakers, regulators and the general public to take action?
1:30 p.m. Principles of Persuasive Writing
Public affairs and advocacy professionals must persuade and engage their target audiences. While never easy, it’s vital to both tailor messages for different audiences and distill complex policy issues that your audience can understand. Hear from a communications expert who, in addition to sharing examples of strong persuasive writing, will discuss:
- Identifying and developing a persuasive policy argument
- Strategies for simplifying and removing industry jargon from your advocacy writing
- Developing a simple and powerful message that resonates with your target audience
2:30 p.m. Networking Break
2:45 p.m. Putting it Into Practice: Crafting Persuasive Op-eds, Calls-to-Action and Social Media Alerts
While public affairs professionals are constantly writing, they’re rarely trained as professional writers. This session will delve into the most powerful persuasive tools: the op-ed, the email action alert and the social media alert. Join our communications expert for a session on:
- Best practices for writing op-eds with a high placement rate
- Crafting a compelling action alert or advocacy call-to-action message
- Understanding the elements and process of crafting a newsworthy op-ed or opinion piece
- Creating social content that can motivate an audience to take action
+ Click to expand
Public Affairs Council
2121 K Street, NW
Washington, DC 20037
*Participants joining the program virtually will receive an email one week beforehand with instructions for logging on to our web-based platform. On the platform, they will be able to listen and participate through any computer or internet-enabled device, see a video of the speakers, and ask questions and participate in the discussion via a chat box.
+ Click to expand
- Members: $289
- Non-Members: $399
Additional discounts may apply to this meeting. These discounts may include:
For multiple registrants: A discount will apply to the standard member/non-member rate for organizations that register two or more participants for the same meeting. The first registrant will pay full price, the second participant will receive a 10% discount and each additional registrant will receive a 15% discount. To register multiple participants, you may either register online or download the print and fax registration form.
Member discounts: Discounts for members are applied to all Public Affairs Council meetings.
Non-members: Join the Council today, and save by registering at the member rate and using the $200 new-member coupon you will receive. Contact our membership team for information about joining the Council.
Questions? Contact us at 202.787.5950.