Persuasion is a must in public affairs. To gain supporters and impact decisionmakers, it’s essential to convey complex policy issues to both the public and policymakers. Our persuasive writing workshop will show you how to produce content that can engage supporters, inspire action and sway undecideds.
Featured Topic & Speaker
In this program, you’ll learn how to:
- Translate complex issues into compelling narratives
- Create a segmentation strategy for messages and audiences
- Engage policymakers and supporters through persuasive writing and inspire them to act
- Compose persuasive action alerts, call scripts, op-eds, letters to the editor and more
- Develop a pitching strategy for op-eds and letters to the editor
10:00 a.m. Principles of Persuasive Writing
Public affairs and advocacy professionals wear two hats when writing: translator and persuader. How do writers develop messages that simplify complex issues and move people to act? Hear from a communications expert who, in addition to sharing examples of strong persuasive writing, will discuss:
- Developing a simple and powerful message that resonates with your target audience
- Identifying and developing a persuasive policy argument
- Strategies to remove industry jargon from and inject clarity into your advocacy writing
11:00 a.m. Networking Break
11:15 a.m. Putting it Into Practice: Crafting Persuasive Op-eds, Calls-to-Action and Social Media Alerts
What makes a successful op-ed, action alert or social media call to action? While public affairs professionals are constantly writing, they are rarely trained as professional writers. This session will delve into the structure and characteristics of successful persuasive pieces.
Join our communications expert for a session on:
- Writing effective op-ed pitches
- Crafting a compelling action alert or advocacy call-to-action message
- Understanding the elements and process of drafting a newsworthy op-ed or letter to the editor
- Creating social content that motivates an audience to act
12:15 p.m. Adjourn
+ Click to expand
This event will be hosted in a secure virtual environment.
*Participants joining the program virtually will receive an email one week beforehand with instructions for logging on to our web-based platform. On the platform, they will be able to listen and participate through any computer or internet-enabled device, see a video of the speakers, and ask questions and participate in the discussion via a chat box.
+ Click to expand
- Members: $289
- Non-Members: $399
Additional discounts may apply to this meeting. These discounts may include:
For multiple registrants: A discount will apply to the standard member/non-member rate for organizations that register two or more participants for the same meeting. The first registrant will pay full price, the second participant will receive a 10% discount and each additional registrant will receive a 15% discount. To register multiple participants, you may either register online or download the print and fax registration form.
Member discounts: Discounts for members are applied to all Public Affairs Council meetings.
Non-members: Join the Council today, and save by registering at the member rate and using the $200 new-member coupon you will receive. Contact our membership team for information about joining the Council.
Questions? Contact us at 202.787.5950.