Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
2 Political Organizers (Northern CA & Southern CA)
The Political Organizer reports to the Director of Government Relations (GR). Under the coordination of the Political Director, CFA’s Political Organizer is responsible for implementing CFA’s Political Action/Legislative program.
The candidate must have political campaign experience with demonstrated ability to manage strategic political and/or legislative operations within a union/progressive organization setting. CFA’s Political Organizer must have “hands on” experience in implementing political/legislative program around organizational goals and must be able to implement a vision for a strategic program.
The Political Organizer will assist in managing a program that enhances CFA’s political power, fosters internal organizing and chapter development, and encourages members to develop strong political relationships.
The Political Organizer’s work will focus on implementing and developing an organizational plan for each campus to increase political capacity and CFA’s political action funds, as well as maintaining productive working relationships with affiliates, partners in labor, and allied community organizations.
• Organize the grassroots lobbying and political efforts of CFA staff, member leaders, and activists to give workers a voice at the Board of Trustees and in the legislative and political process on local and state issues.
• Mobilize member and student volunteers for political, issue, fundraising, voter registration and legislative campaigns
• Assist in identifying, recruiting, and developing members to participate in the union’s political programs
• Outreach to elected leaders & community organizations to support union campaigns and recruit them to turnout out for union events
• Coordinate Central Labor Council involvement
• Attend community and political functions as a representative of CFA
• Coordinate involvement in electoral and political fundraising work
• Function as afield organizer in electoral campaigns to elect endorsed candidates and ballot measures
• Organize and coordinate events related to politics and/or legislation
• Participates in ongoing community coalitions around public services, workers’ rights, and public policy issues of interest to the union. Develops and builds new coalitions in jurisdictions where they are not already existing.
• Integrates political activities with the union’s long-term organizing goals. Rallies political and public support for current organizing, bargaining, and other union campaigns.
• Maintain and manage GR database, website, and membership activist list
• Assist in coordinating endorsement interviews,
· Assist in contribution recommendations and with Fair Political Practice Commission filings as needed
• Develop relationships with and work with other labor, education and community organizations
• Builds and maintains the political activism committee by coordinating with GR, chapter leaders, chapter field reps, PA/Leg chairs, and board members
The ideal candidate for our team will have the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
• A strong commitment to advancing racial and social justice transformation in the union movement
• Ability to work independently, handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet strict deadlines, including following organizational policies and reporting requirements
• Possess excellent writing, verbal and analytical skill
• Demonstrated commitment to social justice and empowering working people to build political power
• Ability to work long and irregular hours, including nights and weekends, and occasional travel
• Ability to work in high pressure environment, including performing successfully on special assignments and projects
•Ability to work collaboratively and strategically with CFA officers, members, interns and staff
• Demonstrated ability to infuse anti-racism and social justice work into the everyday work of CFA
• Able to communicate persuasively and professionally both verbally and in writing
• knowledge of California politics, budget and legislative process
• Proficient in Word, Excel, Outlook, PDI, VAN, etc.
• Prior experience doing political organizing
· Other duties as assigned
• Valid driver’s license, an automobile for business use, and proof of minimum insurance coverage.
• Ability to lift 25 lbs.
How to Apply
To apply send cover letter, resume and references to email@example.com.
CFA is an Affirmative Action Employer.
Women, People of Color/Native People, members of the LGBTQIA community, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
CFA complies with federal and state disability laws and makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Job posted: 2022-07-12