The Policy Analyst supports USAID’s Office of Management Policy, Budget, and Performance (M/MPBP), which functions as the Operational Support Office for the Agency, serving as the business partner for all management functions and operations in Washington and overseas. M/MPBP is responsible for management policy formulation and implementation; oversight of the Agency’s codified policy and its alignment with laws, regulations and Agency policies, rule-making and de-regulation; operational performance monitoring, assessment and process improvement; compliance and oversight to implement the USAID suspension and debarment program; providing leadership for the Agency AAPSM agenda; and, promoting key national security initiatives, such as direct partner vetting and life sciences.
The Policy Division in M/MPBP provides management oversight of Agency policy, the Automated Directives System (ADS, see ADS 501). The Division collaborates with subject-matter experts across B/IOs to develop and support Agency policy and procedures that align with laws, regulations and Agency leadership decisions. The Division’s functions are:
- Management advisors to the Agency to align Agency policy and management platforms with Federal law, Presidential initiative or directive, regulations, and international agreements governing the use of foreign assistance
- Managing the Agency’s Automated Directive System (ADS) as the official record of codified Agency policy
- Conducting policy assessments and outreach to strengthen awareness and compliance with operational policy throughout the Agency
- Serving as the SOAR Secretariat by providing guidance and quality control to stakeholders on the SOAR process (see ADS 300)
- Overseeing visa compliance as part of USAID’s role as Department of State-certified visa sponsor
- Supporting the Conference Management policy by coordinating with Agency leadership to develop policies and required procedures for conference planning and attendance, as well as managing the conference approval process (see ADS 580)
- Serving as the Secretariat for the MOC
- Overseeing and implementing select management programs, including rule-making and compliance with the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as an expert analyst in the assessment and improvement of operational effectiveness or the improvement of complex management and administrative policies, processes and systems;
- Assist in determining need for written policies and procedures, overseeing the development of policy, procedures, or technological platforms, reviewing and recommending approval upon completion, supporting initial implementation, and making implementation improvement recommendations;
- Lead assessments of impact and implementation of management operations policies, making recommendations for policy changes to streamline, improve accessibility and increase compliance.
- Consult with management to prepare detailed plans, goals, objectives, operational or information technology requirements, and criteria for complex or high-value management processes and systems;
- Present findings and recommendations on complex issues or problems impacting major programs;
- Demonstrate strong project management skills by coordinating working groups on complex issues to solicit technical and legal input, establish milestones, meet expected results, and communicate results, issues and challenges to senior management.
- Plan and develop quality programs, procedures, and methodologies to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of work methods and management controls for a major component of Agency operations;
- Other operational performance tasks as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum Qualifications: (To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.)
- Master’s Degree in Management or Public Policy or related field
- 3-5 years of specialized experience in leading policy analysis, assessments and recommendations to improve the quality and efficiency of management operations, and project management skills.
- In addition, the candidate must have demonstrated experience in: providing expert advice to management on a wide range of complex programs/activities using a variety of qualitative and quantitative techniques to assess policies, processes, systems and mission support programs; coordinating special working groups to solicit input and engagement on program initiatives that are critical to the mission; determining the need for written policies and procedures; writing policies and procedures based on need; providing technical assistance to management in planning systems and management programs; monitoring policy implementation and impact and implementing project improvements based on monitoring, assessments and/or evaluations; and communicating plans, proposals, results to senior management using innovative techniques and visualization.
- Ability to obtain a Secret Clearance
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent customer service skills, interpersonal skills and professional demeanor
- Strong attention to detail
- Excellent research and analytical skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to clearly articulate technical and strategic level matters to a variety of audiences
Physical Demands: (The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee may use repeated motions that include the arms, wrists, hands and/or fingers. The employee is occasionally required to walk, stand, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
Work Environment: (The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.)
- The employee will normally work in a temperature-controlled office environment, with frequent exposure to electronic office equipment.
- During visits to areas of operations, may be exposed to extreme cold or hot weather conditions. Is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and loud noise.
Chenega Corporation and family of companies is an EOE.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Native preference under PL 93-638.
We participate in the E-Verify Employment Verification Program.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-07-31