2020 Campaigns Director
PL+US Action Fund is a bold new national advocacy organization with a single mission: win high quality paid family leave for all in the U.S. by 2022. Our strategy for success is to elevate paid leave with America’s most influential policy makers and political thought leaders, so that everyone can give and receive care when they need it most. PL+US Action Fund is an affiliated 501(c)4 of Paid Leave for the U.S. (PL+US), a 501(c)3, whose three-pronged strategy transforms workplaces, public policy, and culture.
In just a short few years, PL+US and the Action Fund have laid the groundwork for a monumental policy win in the coming years. As the only national organization focused 100% of its time on winning paid family leave, PL+US has made progress by pushing for major adoption by large businesses, winning state and city policy changes, creating bipartisan congressional momentum, and increasing public awareness about the need for paid leave policy. As a result, paid family leave is poised to become a major policy priority in the United States in 2019, just as the 2020 election cycle heats up.
PL+US Action Fund seeks to capitalize on this momentum to elevate national paid family and medical leave as an issue in the 2020 election cycle through aggressive public affairs, issue awareness and independent expenditure efforts. To execute this strategy, PL+US Action Fund is working to build a team of staff and consultants, beginning with the newly created position of 2020 Campaigns Director.
We’re looking for an inspired, strategic, detail-oriented, campaign expert to serve as our 2020 Campaigns Director. This is a perfect role for an individual who has managed large scale campaigns on the Federal or State level, particularly with experience in congressional campaigns or issue oriented programs and is ready to build a premier 360 degree advocacy campaign and grow with a new, dynamic and inspired team that’s in it to win.
About the Position: The PL+US Action Fund 2020 Campaigns Director will work closely with PL+US’s organizational leaders to advance a coordinated and integrated campaign. We seek a politically-savvy, highly motivated campaign leader with a passion for advancing public policy. The 2020 Campaigns Director will be responsible for the strategic direction, management, and implementation of comprehensive advocacy, influence and political plan through the 2020 cycle.
The 2020 Campaigns Manager will lead a wide variety of projects. Reporting directly to the Executive Director of PL+US and PL+US Action Fund, this individual will amplify and enable the organization’s leadership by expanding our capacity to manage political activities and serve as a point of contact for our political activities with allies, partners, and our consulting team
The ideal candidate for this role is a superb and detail-oriented political practitioner with a high level of skill in communications, a sophisticated understanding of team management and leadership, and deep experience in relationship cultivation with high-level individuals and institutions across the political spectrum.
- Building upon and executing PL+US Action Fund’s campaign strategy to advance paid family leave in Congress.
- Drafting and managing a campaign budget for general c4 activities and independent expenditure political campaigns.
- Developing and managing relationships with key bipartisan donors, campaigns, influencers, and grass-top advocacy organizations at both the federal level and in key states.
- Developing and managing relationships with key political reporters.
- Assisting in liaising with PL+US Action Fund’s Board of Directors.
- Growing and managing a team of employees and consultants that executes key political, communications, advertising, field, and tactical engagement strategies.
- Fundraising to support execution of PL+US Action Fund’s strategy.
- Developing a plan to build PL+US Action Fund membership in key states.
- Develop and manage activations for major events including 2020 debates and the DNC/RNC political conventions.
- Building upon and executing the PL+US Action Fund “Paid Leave Champions” program.
- Assisting in managing a federal PAC.
- Working with the PL+US 501(c)3 staff on (c)3 permissible activities.
- 5+ years of work experience with demonstrated success in managing political campaigns or targeted political programs
- Track record of directing a winning campaign, either at the candidate or issue level.
- Experience working in a multi-entity organization structure preferred.
- Proven experience managing, prioritizing and meeting multiple deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Superb project management and organizational skills.
- Excellent writing, communication, and strong research skills.
- Self-starter, strong work ethic, results-oriented and deadline driven.
- Team player, ability to motivate a team to engage in and support fundraising.
- Skilled in Google Apps, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Powerpoint.
- A deep commitment to equity and inclusion.
- You’re kind to others and to yourself. We’re building a team that’s smart, fun, fast, supportive, passionate, and collaborative. That starts with people who are truly delighted and challenged by the work, and know how to bring their best selves to it every day.
An ideal candidate also possesses the following skills and attributes:
- Strong leadership and organizational skills: Strong leadership, political and organizational skills and the proven ability to successfully execute public policy, political, and advocacy objectives. Proven ability to manage a team of staff and consultants.
- Coalition or Issues Based Management Experience: Experience working with or for a successful issues-based federal advocacy coalition.
- A deep understanding of the federal legislative process as well as federal electoral process in key states.
- Fundraising ability: A proven skill set of fundraising tactics, finance plan management, and tracking financial goals.
- Relationship Management: Outstanding ability to build relationships and use influence effectively in a variety of settings, both within the organization and with external constituencies, including public officials, trade associations, and other relevant parties. Ability to interact at the highest level of professionalism with all grassroots advocates, consultants, corporate and board contacts, White House, Congress, federal agencies, state governors and legislatures, state agencies, local government elected officials and staff, and the general public.
- Strong Communications Skills: Proven ability to speak and write persuasively and with clarity, evidenced by experience in communicating advocacy positions, drafting issue papers, and preparing and presenting public statements and testimony.
- Skilled at advocacy, influence, and persuasion: able to convince others to act on information or recommendations based on compelling logic or common best interests.
- Experience collaborating cross-functionally to ensure execution of mission goals.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking and interpersonal skills.
- Track record of being able to work under quick deadlines and under changing circumstances.
- Ability to manage budget and external resources.
- Proven track record of building coalitions with other policy organizations, companies, and other stakeholders.
- Passionate about winning paid family leave for everyone in the U.S.
- Ability to travel as required, up to 25%.
Some of the benefits of working for PL+US & PL+US Action Fund:
- Awesome team of high impact, low ego people who are in it to win.
- Flexible work schedule. If you need to leave early to pick up your kid from school or take your mom to the doctor, that’s cool.
- Work from home options. We like seeing you in the office and value face-time, but all of us work from home at least once or twice a week.
- Up to 6 months of paid family leave, as well as health, dental, and vision insurance (up to $650/month).
- Professional development coaching.
- Generous time off. Unlimited vacation, 12 paid holidays, and we all take the week between Christmas and New Years off.
- Retirement accounts. We offer a 401(k) since we want you to retire one day.
- Employer-paid life and disability insurance, commuter benefits program, medical and dependent care FSA program.
Salary and Title:
This is a full time position reporting to the Executive Director. The salary range for this position is $100-115k commensurate with experience, plus generous benefits.
Location: Washington, D.C. Area with remote work a possibility.
Submit an application via Recruiterbox. You’ll need a resume and the ability to answer a handful of short questions in lieu of a cover letter. We would love to hire this role as soon as possible and will accept applications on a rolling basis until filled, with our first application review on June 15, 2019.
PL+US Action Fund is deeply committed to diversity. We strongly encourage people of color, first-generation Americans, new parents, single parents, people with disabilities, and members of the queer community to apply.
PL+US Action Fund is an equal opportunity employer. This means that we don’t discriminate against people because of their race, ethnicity, sex, age, religion, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, personal appearance, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, or political affiliation.
Job posted: 2019-06-13