Accessibility & Disability Policy Advisor
Accessibility is a key part of Microsoft’s mission to empower people and organizations to achieve more. Our team partners across the company and beyond to make that vision a reality for people with disabilities. As part of this focus, we are looking for a Program Manager with experience and passion for accessible technology and disability inclusion to manage our Accessibility Policy Program. Within the Office of the Chief Accessibility Officer (CAO), this role will lead our efforts to provide strategy and execution to policy initiatives that impact people with disabilities.
If you are passionate about policy, technology, advocacy, accessibility, and disability inclusion, then read on!
About the Role:
You will be part of a small team accountable for prioritization and management of Microsoft’s strategic partnerships with organizations that focus on people with disabilities, accessibility, and policy, including the events that bring us together with our strategic partners. You will explore some of the most critical digital accessibility and disability inclusion policy issues of today, including access to technology, data inclusion, education, and employment.
The Accessibility Policy Program Manager will identify and promote policy positions and develop campaigns in furtherance of Microsoft’s mission and Accessibility strategy. You will also build effective relationships and develop alliances to advance disability inclusion and accessibility policy for Microsoft customers and employees with disabilities.
You will play a key role in bringing the policy voice of the disability community to Microsoft. Through deep and broad engagement with diverse stakeholders within Microsoft, and with customers, partners, NGOs (nongovernmental organizations), and government agencies, you will develop insights into policy issues important to the disability community and will be responsible for communications with internal stakeholders on the health and perception of these partnerships.
- Develops and oversees the execution of Accessibility Policy investment strategy aligned with Microsoft Mission and our Accessibility strategy.
- Anticipates highly complex or unprecedented trends and issues facing Microsoft, the disability community, and the accessibility industry, and lead the development of associated strategies and solutions.
- Supports the advancement of Microsoft’s policy agenda that addresses disability and accessibility issues.
- Assists with the execution of accessibility policy programs designed to increase access to technology, career advancement, and independence of people with disabilities and communities.
- Adheres to project timelines, budgets, and plans for accessibility policy programs.
Business, Technical, and Accessibility Expertise
- Manages resources within budget and directs external consultants and/or vendor support.
- Provides input for advancing Microsoft accessibility policy agenda.
- Maintains awareness of the impact of accessibility policy in the internal and external communities.
- Communicates Microsoft’s perspective on accessibility policy issues internally.
- Follows the messaging and communications strategy to ensure programs are integrated into internal and external stakeholder messaging.
- Builds understanding of business strategies across Microsoft and Corporate and Legal Affairs.
- Participates in internal and external events to communicate information on Microsoft accessibility approach.
- Builds and fosters relationships with NGOs, advocates, academics, and other external stakeholders that align to Microsoft’s Accessibility strategy and long-term business objectives.
- Works with government affairs team to support communication with government officials and agencies regarding legislation and policy.
- Serves as a point of contact on accessibility and disability policy issues for key internal and external stakeholders.
- Collects and evaluates feedback from the community and other stakeholders on accessibility policy issues.
- Develops positive relationships, processes, and communications with colleagues and internal stakeholders to provide Microsoft with insight and action plans related to disability and accessibility policy issues.
- Participates in intra-group and/or cross-group projects.
- Bachelor’s Degree AND 3+ years experience in corporate social responsibility, philanthropies, corporate affairs, Disability and/or Accessibility or related area.
- OR 5+ years experience in corporate social responsibility, philanthropies, corporate affairs, Disability and/or Accessibility or related area.
- Excellent writing and communication skills, including the skill at simplifying complicated policy issues.
- Experience researching and drafting Disability and/or Accessibility policies.
- Track record of excellent teamwork and collaboration in a large organization across multiple teams.
The successful candidate can be located in Redmond, WA or remote from anywhere within the US.
- Global experience with accessibility/ disability policy.
- Sound judgment that incorporates strong policy analysis, a pragmatic approach, and consideration of business goals, risk tolerance, and stakeholder priorities.
- Skillful in collaboration, partnership, and generating consensus among those with diverse points of view.
- Commitment to diversity, inclusion, and respect for others.
- Strong attributes in representing Microsoft with trusted external relationships.
- Skillful in facilitating an effective virtual community.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and a bias for action in a fast-paced, matrixed environment.
- Project management skills and the ability to work efficiently and meet deadlines in the face of competing priorities.
- A desire to grow and take on new challenges as they arise.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-04-28